VMware Communities
rjc201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 12, MacOS 10.5.7, Windows 10 VM, no IPv4 in bridged mode

I've upgraded to Fusion 12 Pro from 11 Pro and in my Windows 10 VM's if I have the networking set as Bridge mode (autodetect or WiFi) I get no IPv4.  If I change to NAT networking, everything springs back to life.  My network can see the IPv4 DHCP request, and a reply is sent but this doesn't seem to make it back to the Windows VM.

I have tried to remove the Network Adapter from Fusion and add it back, reset the Windows 10 networking setup.  Removed and re-installed VMWare tools. 

What is odd is that IPv6 seems to work, it is just IPv4 that seems broken.  I can get to IPv6 site on the internet and locally from the VM fine.

Any pointers as to where to start to look to fix this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
HurcoMv
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure what to suggest but will say that it is working fine for me.

I assume you mean MacOS 10.15.7 (Catalina) and not 10.5.7?

I'm using bridged mode, wired network on the Mac, Catalina 10.5.7, Fusion 12 Pro, Windows 10 Pro. IPv4 is set to use DHCP - works here at work and at home.

I don't normally use wireless but can do a test if it's any use to you.

is the IPv6 address only link-local (starts with FE80::) if you do an ipconfig/all on the W10 VM? If so, that might be relevant.

What happens if you manually assign an IPv4 address to your VM, assuming you can do that in your environment.

I guess also try a reboot of the Mac if you haven't done that already after the Fusion upgrade.

0 Kudos
rjc201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, that should be 10.15.7.

The IPv6 is from my assigned range, and I get the IPv6 DHCP server details too, so DHCPv6 is working fine.

What is odd is if I connect via my thunderbolt dock the IPv4 works, start not connected and no IPv4, even though bridge mode is set to auto.  Setting it to WiFi didn't make any difference.

It's a strange one, I can see the DHCPv4 offers coming back but they just don't seem to make it through.

When I get some time I will do a little more digging.

0 Kudos
adamtux
Contributor
Contributor

Hello.

Have you resolved this? I'm having the same issue with Fusion 12.0 and 12.1 running on macOS 10.15.7.  

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Check your WAP, especially if it's enterprise gear.  Many are configured to only provide a single IP address per MAC.

0 Kudos
adamtux
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I don't have this issue with virtualbox on the same host and wifi network.

0 Kudos