VMware Communities
CaliDuck916
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 12 Big Sur - Unable to create installation medium

I am unable to create a Big Sur VM in Fusion 12 using the macOS 11.0.1 installer.

Any suggestions? Fusion is up to date.

For our testing purposes, I am not looking to upgrade a Catalina VM to Big Sur. That has been tested already.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
CaliDuck916
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No solution yet, apparently VMWare is aware, so I imagine we'll see a fix soon.

In the meantime I'm exploring this:

https://github.com/rtrouton/create_macos_vm_install_dmg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
taylorcurtis805
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to get one setup by creating an iso with the installer..run the following: 

hdiutil create -o /tmp/BigSur -size 17000m -volname BigSur -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J
hdiutil attach /tmp/BigSur.dmg -noverify -mountpoint /Volumes/BigSur
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/BigSur --nointeraction
hdiutil detach /volumes/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur (this didn't work for me but was able to force eject with finder.) 
hdiutil convert /tmp/BigSur.dmg -format UDTO -o ~/Desktop/BigSur.cdr
mv ~/Desktop/BigSur.cdr ~/Desktop/BigSur.iso

View solution in original post

20 Replies
realhank
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had exactly the same problem. Do you have any update yet?

snyktechops
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

same issue

CaliDuck916
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No solution yet, apparently VMWare is aware, so I imagine we'll see a fix soon.

In the meantime I'm exploring this:

https://github.com/rtrouton/create_macos_vm_install_dmg

0 Kudos
realhank
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Already tried. No luck. Please let me know how it goes.

taylorcurtis805
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to get one setup by creating an iso with the installer..run the following: 

hdiutil create -o /tmp/BigSur -size 17000m -volname BigSur -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J
hdiutil attach /tmp/BigSur.dmg -noverify -mountpoint /Volumes/BigSur
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/BigSur --nointeraction
hdiutil detach /volumes/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur (this didn't work for me but was able to force eject with finder.) 
hdiutil convert /tmp/BigSur.dmg -format UDTO -o ~/Desktop/BigSur.cdr
mv ~/Desktop/BigSur.cdr ~/Desktop/BigSur.iso

realhank
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can create an iso file but it's not bootable. Is your iso file bootable?

0 Kudos
realhank
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh yeah, it worked. Thanks mate.

gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I have the same error.

0 Kudos
realhank
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can follow instructions given by taylorcurtis805. Then create a custom vm and load the iso file via CD/DVD.

KarthikeyanM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same issue with VMWare Fusion 12 and macOS Big Sur 11.0.1

https://github.com/rtrouton/create_macos_vm_install_dmg - this works.

pfruth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Karthik.  That worked perfectly for me

0 Kudos
tchung1970
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

create_macos_vm_install_dmg.sh (from https://github.com/rtrouton/create_macos_vm_install_dmg)  created two files:
+ macOS_1101_installer.dmg
+ macOS_1101_installer.iso

I used macOS_1101_installer.dmg with VMWare Fusion 12 Pro and I'm able to install macOS Big Sur (11.0.1)

CaliDuck916
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you all for the contributions made here! Friendly tip - be sure to exclude the host system creating the installer from any Big Sur software restriction in your MDM.

The scripts posted above led to a "Kill 9" error - which was Jamf in our case killing the installer process during the createinstallmedia function.

0 Kudos
CaliDuck916
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@taylorcurtis805 I was able to fix the force eject with adding -force to that line:

hdiutil detach /volumes/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur -force

0 Kudos
DavidDunham
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is still not working ...

Tried this as alternative to Paralells ...but too many problems (what a pitty).

0 Kudos
Doc69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm getting the same error in Fusion 13.0 and Ventura 13.2 via "Install macOS Ventura.app".

0 Kudos
Aaroncool
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I use this https://github.com/rtrouton/create_macos_vm_install_dmg to create bootable img and then got it working.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That script works well - I've used it. Make sure you tell it to create an ISO, which you can then assign to the virtual CD/DVD drive and boot from it to install the VM. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I took a look at what VMware did in the tool that they use to create "bootable macOS media from the Install macOS ... ,app." 

What I see makes me doubt once again how Mac-savvy their engineering staff is.

The script from GitHub.com takes a very straightforward approach that's the same as what @taylorcurtis posted - use the Apple-provided createinstallmedia application within the application's bundle and target the output to a disk image file instead of a physical device. They then use macOS hdiutil commands to create an ISO out of that DMG file. 

VMware tries to do something similar, but for some inexplicable reason (perhaps for backward compatibility or lack of effort to keep up with what Apple has done) tries to create a .vmdk file using their own code instead of Apple's utility.  That process is dependent on extracting and copying what they think should be the files contained in the contents of Apple's installer bundles. Apple appears to have made changes to the contents of the installer bundle that VMware's tool doesn't recognize. So, the process fails. 

Perhaps VMware ought to take a good hard look at what this script does and realize they need to seriously rework that tool and not just try to "patch" around it. This has obviously been broken ever since Big Sur was released (and I bet it is due to Apple changing things up to support Apple Silicon).

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos