VMware Communities
rshack777
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 12 - 20 hr import from PC Win 7 64 - Just get blinking cursor

Seeking help getting image of Win 7 - 64, from ASUS older laptop.

1. I tried the PC-based app, which failed saying 'no OS'

2. Tried the wireless import which ended 'successful' but failed.

Help greatly appreciated!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

So you're running the VMWare VCenter convert app from that machine while it's booted?  That's the most reliable way to convert a machine.

FWIW, converting a physical machine always results in a bloated, buggy, less stable VM.  It's recommended to just create a new one from scratch.  

rshack777
Contributor
Contributor

At the moment I could use assistance getting a lone VMDK file to install into fusion 12.

I was able to create a VMDK file with the software that pushes it from the PC to an external drive.  What I think I screwed up is I deleted all files except for the VMDK, because it appeared to be the only file needed.

So now, I keep trying to install it as part of fusion version 12, but it's like no matter what I do the software doesn't recognize it.  I had it up and running on fusion, but was going to move it from the external drive to my Mac laptop because of the SSD.

0 Kudos
rshack777
Contributor
Contributor

I successfully created the files from a PC standalone export to an external drive. I was able to install it in diffusion from there, but decided I wanted to run it from my SSD macOS.

In short, I accidentally permanently deleted all other files except for the VMDK. I didn't think I needed them. But fusion 12 keeps requesting the VMX, or at least that's what websites are telling me.

Do I just have to run the PC stand alone again!?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You can try to create a new VM (File New), then select "create a custom VM", set the guest OS to match, set the firmware (windows 7? it will be BIOS, not UEFI), on the choose "Virtual Disk" step, you select the virtual disk. Use the "Make a separate copy" option as then you get a default configuration, otherwise you'll end up with a virtual disk outside of the VM bundle config and that will only lead to problems later on.

Then follow the steps. If you don't have enough free space on your local machine then point to an external disk when creating the VM.

With a bit of luck, that would do it.

Otherwise, yes rerunning the whole physical to virtual process is the way to go.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
rshack777
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much that was the solution.  This was from an ASUS computer, I'm having some other issues but I'll post later on that

0 Kudos