VMware Communities
MarioRaffaele
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 12.2 problems update for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for systems x64 ((KB5009596)

Unable to complete Update for Windows 10 

iMac Retina 5k 27 inch Late 2014 3,5 Ghz Intel Core 15 quad-core 16 GB RAM - Mac OS Big Sur

VMWare Fusion Player 12.2.1 - Windows 10 x64

Last qualitative update succesfully installed: 11 jan 2022: KB5008876 cumulative update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10, version 20H2

Every time after a long install process message appears: Impossible to complete updates, Than it takes a long time to cancel the update and to restart. In the settings screen\Windows Update it continues to appear the message "restart necessary" and when I shut down there is always the option update and restart/shutdown.

So the update is always pending but it is not possible to install it

Anyone could help me ? Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Any time I see an Windows update issue on a VM, I start by  by troubleshooting it as a Windows issue as if it were a physical machine. 

I would start there. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
MarioRaffaele
Contributor
Contributor

I will. thanks

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Just FYI, I installed a fresh Windows 10 x64 VM and it's offering to install the 2022-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H2 for x64-based systems (KB5009543) rather than the Cumulative Update Preview (KB5009596).

I'll let things finish and post back what I see.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Update:

The first round of updates after initial installation of Windows went fine. I then went back and found that the optional system update preview KB5009596 was still being offered. I selected it for download and installation.

Good news (or bad news, depending how you look at it): The update installed successfully for me.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
MarioRaffaele
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

So should I try to install the 2022-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H2 for x64-based systems (KB5009543) ? Where do I find it ?

By the way in my Windows Update screen I see this message :

"It has not been possible to install this update (i.e. KB5009596) but you can retry (0x0000003)"

Maybe this error code could help

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

The Windows update KB5009543 looks to be the latest released Cumulative update. If Windows Update isn't listing that update for installation, it's probably already installed. Check your Windows update history.

The Windows update KB5009596 looks to be a preview release of the next Cumulative update. Preview or not, it should install.

Have you done a web search for that error code? A quick web search I just performed brings up the following which looks like symptoms similar to yours. Perhaps this might help. 

Windows 10 Updates Fail 0xe0000003 - Microsoft Community

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
MarioRaffaele
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for your help. I enclose here two screenshots:

1) in the first one (screenshot.PNG) you can see in red the sentence (the device is missing key corrections in security and quality"), then you read that it is downloading the KB5009543 (cumulative update for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for systems based on x64). Then below that it is written: "qualitative optional update missing - it has not been possible to install it (I think it refers to the one below -> KB5009596), but you can try again (0x0000003). Download and install"

2) in the second screenshot (screenshot 2.PNG) you can see the chronology of updates

What steps do you suggest that I perform first ?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

It's not really a VMware related problem as far as I can see and error code 0x000003 has 38 different meanings when I just looked it up in the MS doc.

One stab in the dark... how much free disk space has your Windows VM on drive C:\ ?

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
MarioRaffaele
Contributor
Contributor

After a long update install process the message is always "Impossible to complete updates. Cancelling modifications. Do not switch off pc". There are 16 Gb available on disk C, Anyway it does not look like a VMWARE issue so I will try to sort it out with support on the Microsoft side. Thanks

0 Kudos