VMware Communities
Addabob64
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 12.2.1 issue with Open VM Tools

I am a casual Fusion user for about the last 10 years and in no way am I an expert. In that time, I have been able to do the things I need for miscellaneous testing purposes. I am now running into an issue that has raised its head since the 12.2 update. My apologies up front for the novel....

I am trying to use the copy/paste & drag/drop capabilities, leveraging what I assume is open-vm-tools and open-vm-tools-desktop. In the past, it has worked fine. Since the Fusion 12.2 update which I did after VMWare qualified Monterey (updated to Monterey too on one of the host systems), I can no longer really use VM Tools.

Environment:
Host OSs = macOS Big Sur Version 11.6.1 (20G224) & Monterey 12.0.1
Fusion = Professional Version 12.2.1 (18811640)
Guest OSs = Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Desktop and 21.10 Desktop
HW = Macbook Pro 8 core/64GB & Mac Pro 16 core/192GB respectively

I have 20.04 VMs where the cut & paste has been working fine. Now when I try to copy from my Host OS and paste into a Files app window on the Guest OS, it throws an error box saying "Error while copying. There was an error getting information about "copy". Operation not supported", with Cancel/Skip All/Skip/Retry buttons.

Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 6.50.37 AM.png

Retry throws the same error again. If I Skip, it throws a new error box saying "Error while copying. There was an error getting information about "". Operation not supported", with the same Cancel/Skip All/Skip/Retry buttons.

Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 6.51.12 AM.png

If I select Skip, it then copies the file into the Files window I had selected. C&P going from the Host OS to the Guest OS works fine. So in Ubuntu 20.04, I could make it work.

The issue comes with Ubuntu 21.10. I need this new OS for a new testing procedure. When I try to copy from Host to Guest into the Files window, it throws an fatal error stating "The application Files has closed unexpectedly." with the option to send the problem report to the developers which I have done.

Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 7.02.54 AM.png

Now if I C&P from Host OS to Guest Desktop, it copies fine. If I try to copy from Guest OS Files window to the Host OS, there is no a Paste option when going to the Host foilder.

I can share a Host folder and see it on the Guest mounted at /mnt/hgfsn as expected but the Guest OS will not allow write access even though I am the owner and have rwx permissions. I can't even use sudo to circumvent the write permission error.

I can reproduce this on both Mac hardware platforms, so it doesn't seem to be tied to a specific macOS version. The Fusion install packages were independently downloaded, so I didn't use a potentially corrupted common install file for that, plus the MD5 checked out on both.

I have tried installing fresh Ubuntu VMs for each version (20.04 & 21.10) on each HW platform, again from different iso files that each checked out for the MD5 so no corruption there.

I have run the commands to validate that the Open VM Tools packages are installed, are the latest versions and are running.

Everything just seems to be pointing back to the Fusion 12.2.1 update. I am going to try and locate an older version to run on the Big Sur machine, but the Monterey machine needs 12.2.1 for compatibility (like that is doing me a lot of good in its current state).

If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears. I have tried every sudo apt install open-vm-tools-desktop command I have found in my search overnight, tried doing an autoremove of open-vm-tools and reinstall from the VMWare Tools iso... Nothing has netted me any positive results. I have previously enabled Open VM tools hundreds of times, and it has never done anything like this...

I am going to beat on this a bit more this morning, and will probably then have to log a support incident with VMWare and shell out the $50, but wanted to ask here to see if anyone has seen anything like this with any potential fix. Thanks in advance for any insight or guidance you may be able to provide.

Have an awesome day all!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Johnny9
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. No solution from me. Just reporting that I am also having trouble with VMtools. No error dialog - just fails to copy items from host to guest. However, I'm working with Debian 11 guest which is not officially supported so that may be an issue. My guest vm is hanging a lot too which may be related to the tools issue. I am currently working to install a Debian 10 vm to see if vmtools works there and will report back if I get a result. Debian 10 is supported. I also tried uninstalling open-vm-tools and installing vmware-tools without success.

Host: OSX 11.6
Fusion 12.2.1
Guest: Debian 11.1.0-i386 - installed using VMware defaults.

0 Kudos
Johnny9
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Tools also fails on Debian 10.11. The fresh install did not include open-vm-tools so I tried attaching the linux.iso image found in the VMware package to the guest vm cdrom and the attempted to install VMware Tools from the drop down menu. Click through menu about locked cdrom and then nothing seems to happen except the drop down menu under "Virtual Machine" now shows "Cancel VMware Tools Installation" greyed out. So it appears to be hung on the installation with no way to cancel. So many bugs. As a long time Fusion pro user - very disappointed. Hopefully there is a V12 point release in the future.

0 Kudos
Addabob64
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I agree.  I have used Fusion since its inception, and worked for for EMC for many years with VMWare as our sister company.  So far, V12 has been pretty poor and I add to your hope that they get their act together.  Otherwise might have to look at some of the others virtualization solutions to see if they are any better.

0 Kudos
Johnny9
Contributor
Contributor

I next tried to install open-vm-tools from the command line (using apt-get) in the guest Debian10 vm. The install went well and I now have a tool service running and can cut and paste text from guest to host and vice versa but drag and drop of files still fails. Now however, I at least see the cursor as a hand holding a document icon when dragging into the guest VM; it just won't copy the dragged file over. Here is the version of tools I'm running:

debian10:/var/log$ vmware-toolbox-cmd -v
10.3.10.10540 (build-12406962)

The "Virtual Machines" drop down still has the "Cancel VMware Tools Installation" greyed out were the Install VMWare Tools option once was - not sure how to fix that.

So a slight improvement but still not fully functioning. Have perused several logs in /var/logs on the guest but nothing seems to be logging on drag and drop failures. The Deb10 vm seems to be more stable than the Deb11 vm so that's an improvement too.

0 Kudos