VMware Communities
Rafael_Austria
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 12.1 issue after Mac Os Big Sur update to 11.2.3

Hello everyone

I have a problem with my daughter's computer. It is a macbook pro 2016 and has the Big Sur system installed.

So far, Fusion 12.1 and a Windows 10 virtual machine have been functioning.

Unfortunately, yesterday I updated Mac Os Big Sur to version 11.2.3 and unfortunately currently Fusion 12.1 does not turn on.

The application starts launching and freezes (no response).

I have made the following attempts to fix the problem:

- reinstallation of Fusion 12.1

- reinstallation of the Os Big Sur 11.2.3 operating system (unfortunately I cannot undo the update)

I am asking for suggestions because windows is used for online lessons (strange app  only for windows)

Thank you Rafael from Vienna

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ConnectixVPC4Ma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I  something similar when upgrading a MacOS VM from Catalina to Big Sur. I finally gave up hoping VMware would enchounter complaints and ID and fix it. I haven't seen anything yet.

0 Kudos
lanceasbury9924
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare fusion has been broken since Big Sur came out. No response from VMWare. I recommend trying VirtualBox or Parallels

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Fusion 12 works fine in Big Sur, latest release.

These are user-to-user forums, not an official support channel.

To the OP:

1) Make sure you are installing and running Fusion as an administrator

2) do a clean install:

delete fusion

empty trash

reboot

empty trash

reinstall fusion

0 Kudos
ConnectixVPC4Ma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you have an link to the official support recommending this procedure?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Sounds like this problem:
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/Fusion-12-Hanging-on-startup/m-p/2838434...

For most (sadly not all) people the solution is to wait and let VMware Fusion in "non responding" state for hours and hours on end. Then after a miracle happens some time passes, Fusion starts working as if nothing happened. It would be nice to know what is happening there and it certainly isn't normal or expected behavior.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Rafael_Austria
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all the sugesite, but the best solution was to install Parrells Desktop (14 days free and then $ 79.99 USD), everything works fine. Importing (converting) the virtual machine from Vmware went smoothly.

Regards

0 Kudos
md240401
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, this is still a problem for me after installing macOS Monterey (version 12.5) running the latest version of VMware Fusion.  This started to happen for me around 3 OS updates ago.  My application will hang after rebooting from the OS update for between 3 and 10 hours and then will finally start working.  The application will behave fine until the next OS update and then back to waiting.   It is crazy that this has been an outstanding issue for so long without a response from VMware.  Waiting for 3-8 hours after each OS update is not feasible and so I am sadly moving to Parallels now.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Understandable and sad that VMware never got this resolved.

FWIW, did you ever see & try the workaround from @Texiwill
See:
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/Fusion-12-Hanging-on-startup/m-p/2894401...

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
md240401
Contributor
Contributor

Oh very interesting.  I did not see this article.  Will try this out tomorrow and let you know.  Thank you so much for sharing this!

0 Kudos