VMware Communities
_RJ-45_
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 12.1.2 Activation

Hello everybody.

I've encountered a problem with activation my non-commercial license for Fusion 12.1.2. I pressed "Get a Free License Key" in the window that appeared first and VMware site opened where I passed registration. When I'm trying to copy activation key from the VMware site into Fusion, it says that key is invalid. I assume it is because of that issued key is valid only for Fusion 13.0.0. So where could I find free non-commercial key for 12.1.2 version? I can't use version 13.0.0 because I have macOS 10.15.7 and can't upgrade.

Labels (3)
11 Replies
Brianguan
Contributor
Contributor

same issue here, hopefully we can get an answer soon.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I understand that the latest versions of Fusion 12.x will accept a Fusion 13 key.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@scott28tt I had heard that as well, but there’s an indication that the posters are running Catalina. The latest Fusion 12 version is 12.2.5, but that isn’t supported on Catalina.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
RoyP1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi –

I'm in the same situation: on Big Sur/can't upgrade. I just downloaded Fusion 12.2.5, got a personal use key for 13 and was able to install and license Fusion using that license key.  Don't know if there will be some 'gotcha' down the road.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

If you're activated, you'll be fine.  I would expect a future version to drop support for Big Sur.  That could be a .x release of 13 like in the past, but most likely 14.

0 Kudos
ekyle1989
Contributor
Contributor

Same. Using Mac Pro 5,1, thus stuck on Catalina. Fusion 13 key is not valid.

0 Kudos
ekyle1989
Contributor
Contributor

Heya, just found a key on github that works.

<License Key removed by moderator>

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Posting a licence key on a vendor's own forum isn't a bright move - reported to moderators.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

So you posted that you're using an illegal pirated license to the vendor's forum?

Why not do the legal thing and buy one and downgrade it?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@ColoradoMarmot wrote:

So you posted that you're using an illegal pirated license to the vendor's forum?

Why not do the legal thing and buy one and downgrade it?

That would involve paying for the license, which kind of throws a monkey wrench into the idea of a free personal use license. 

I get it. VMware stops selling new licenses for older versions of their product when a new version is released. They don't downgrade free personal use licenses. They dropped support for Catalina in 12.1, which never was updated to support the use of Fusion 13 keys like 12.2 did. They never retrofitted Fusion 12.1 to use Fusion 13 keys like they did Fusion 12.2.

Not saying that I like the situation either, but can explain it.

What I don't get is what would be the problem with VMware continuing to offer a Fusion 12 personal use license for as long as they allow downgrading a paid Fusion 13 license to Fusion 12?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

No disagreement that still generating F12 licenses would be nice, but unfortunately they've chosen to not do that.   There is a legal way to get a license.  It's paid, but it's legal.

The dropping catalina support in a minor version was unfortunate...I think it broke a lot of the other basic processes.

0 Kudos