VMware Communities
mekkablue
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 11 on Mojave with Win 10: no copy and paste

I cannot copy in the Mac and paste in my virtualized Windows inside Fusion. Also the other way (Win>Mac) does not work. The two clipboard histories appear unrelated to each other. How can I restore a common clipboard again?

Running the latest Fusion 11 (11.0.2, 10952296) on macOS Mojave 10.14.3 (18D109).

7 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

These type of issues are almost always due to a broken VMware Tools install.

Do not try a repair install from within the Guest OS as it likely will not fix this, unfortunately the "Reinstall VMware Tools" from the drop down menu also falls in that same category.

You really need the guest OS to reboot inbetween uninstall and install to make sure that all the files from VMware Tools are in the correct locations and of the correct version.

In short follow these steps:

• Uninstall VMware Tools
  • Reboot guest OS
  • Install VMware Tools
  • Reboot guest OS.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
mekkablue
Contributor
Contributor

I assume you meant uninstalling and reinstalling in Windows 10 running in virtualization. The installers had me restart Windows each time. I uninstalled through the Windows menu, and reinstalled with the Install VMWare Tools menu option in VMWare Fusion.

Unfortunately, after the 2nd restart, the clipboards are still separate. Are there any options that need to be set?

wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Yes, that's normally fine.

A couple of questions.

Does the clipboard work in other guests?

Have you changed any defaults? Like this one in menu "Virtual Machine" -> Settings -> Isolation

pastedImage_0.png

Are you running any antimalware/antivirus product in host or guest?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
mekkablue
Contributor
Contributor

There are no other guests. I only run Windows 10.

Virtual Machine > Settings > Isolation has both checkboxes on:

Captura de pantalla 2019-03-03 a la(s) 18.23.41.png

I shut down the virtual machine, unchecked and rechecked the checkboxes, and restarted it, but still no dice.

Antivirus: I believe Win10 has something built in by default, but other than that, not that I am aware of.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Humm... then the only thing I can recommend is to uninstall and reinstall VMware Fusion itself.

It is rare that the issue is at VMware Fusion host level, but it does happen.

You also might want to try and restart the host itself.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
giacomot
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue Smiley Sad

Copy and paste worked once, then any subsequent text I copied couldn't be pasted, always the first text was pasted.

So I followed the suggestions posted here, and now it doesn't even work once, copy and paste are completely separated from my Mac and my VM with Win10.

I even reinstalled VMware Fusion 11, but the problem is still there.

Is there a real fix?

giacomot
Contributor
Contributor

I got it solved with the solution posted here:

Copy Paste does not work

0 Kudos