VMware Communities
Sajedul
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 11, not detecting Keyboard

I have MacBook pro with macOS Sierra version 10.13.6. I purchased VMware Fusion 11. I created VM FOR my laptop with windows 10.

I tried everything mentioned in the community but no luck. I am desperate with any help because traveling overseas and u need my windows 10 to work. Please help

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Go into system preferences, security, accessibility and grant fusion access.

0 Kudos
Sajedul
Contributor
Contributor

Done, quit application, restart, reboot machine. Same suggestion by many but no luck

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Did you create a new Windows 10 VM or did you P2V an existing Windows 10 installation from for example a Windows laptop?

If the latter, then beware that any Synaptic software/drivers installed in that physical laptop has to be removed before you do the P2V migration as the synaptic software will interfere with your VM causing the keyboard/mouse not to work.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Sajedul
Contributor
Contributor

It was my own laptop, I used VMWare to create a machine. Any suggestion or link you can provide how to locate and remove any synaptic software ? I am lost

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I would expect it to be under Settings -> Apps & Features (the windows 10 variant of Add/Remove Programs)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
Sajedul
Contributor
Contributor

Didnt solve

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Um.. that's not a very clear reply.

Do you perhaps mean that you found the synaptic software, uninstalled it..rebooted your laptop, THEN migrated it as a VM over to Fusion again and you still have the same problem?

All those steps are important - including the reboot.

In the VM does the mouse work or do both mouse and keyboard fail to work?

Do you have other VMs? Does the mouse and/or keyboard work there?

-

Wil

0 Kudos
Sajedul
Contributor
Contributor

Yes mouse detecting. Also what I did was removed a keyboard for a foreign language and create a new image after that. I am really confused. I am ready to give someone team viewer access so they can help me and also I am willing to pay for their time. I really new VM for my laptop to work with my MacBook Pro

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Perhaps somebody here will take you up on that offer. Personally I only help out with answers in the forum on a voluntary bases, I don't do remote help as it will distract me from my normal work.

What you can try is to open a ticket with VMware Fusion at File a Support Request

One thing I would try in your case is to download a linux iso, create a quick linux VM and see if the keyboard works for that VM.

For example the 16.04 Ubuntu download that can be found here:

Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS (Xenial Xerus)

Get the 64 bit AMD desktop image, create a new VM, select the downloaded iso and let it install.

If the keyboard works in that case then at least you know it is not Fusion itself, but something in your Windows 10 VM.

Another thing you can try is to attach an external usb keyboard, does that work? (wouldn't expect it to work, but it helps in isolating things)

--

Wil

0 Kudos
seddison1
Contributor
Contributor

same issue fusion v12.2 p2v related comments provided the clue to the fix

it was indeed the Synaptics trackpad driver that was the issue

passthrough usb keyboard didnt work but the onscreen virtual keyboard in the assisted menu did which allowed the login then removed synaptic driver from add remove programs installed Vmware tools and rebooted - all working now

0 Kudos