VMware Communities
badibeat
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 11 keeps changing scaling in Windows 10 after the update

Just to let anyone else affected know:

I got this fixed by simply turning off scaling, rebooting the Windows 10 host twice just to be sure, and then set my scaling to the original value.

I use a scaling of 150% in Windows (set in Settings > System > Display), which serves me well to get a decent screen real estate on my MacBook Pro 14'' Retina display, both if I boot Windows 10 natively using Boot Camp or in VMWare Fusion.

After the update I got a popup after booting, telling that the resolution got changed and that I have to log off and on again.

I can't recall the complete history but found the software to be more stubborn than myself, not letting me keep my preferred settings.

I got this finally resolved by turning scaling completely off and rebooting, which probably completed a task set by the installer.

After that I re-applied my custom scaling, and Fusions seems to be content with them.

Small Tip:

When using scaling, turning the High DPI scaling override on in a program's or program shortcut's Properties allows to correct the size of individual applications which don't scale (I use the "Application" setting for a few editing tools which appear far too small in my case).

0 Kudos
4 Replies
zhus
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Open Settings -> Display, if the checkbox "Automatically adjust user interface size in the virtual machine" is checked, the scaling in Win10 VM will be changed into 200% automatically. If you are going to use customized scaling settings, please uncheck it. Then you will never see the popup message that asks for a re-login.

0 Kudos
badibeat
Contributor
Contributor

I had unchecked this before the upgrade and it was still off afterwards. Maybe I was not clear enough in my post.

0 Kudos
Parveen1988
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

In the same settings, "Full resolution for Mac Retina", can you uncheck that as well.

0 Kudos
badibeat
Contributor
Contributor

No, when you turn off "Use full resolution for Retina display" in VMWare Fusion > Virtual Machine > Settings, then you are not able to use the higher resolution for more on-screen real estate (smaller borders, icons, tiles, text etc.) in Windows.

I was specifically talking about the settings in Windows.

0 Kudos