VMware Communities
erikmaaloe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 11 Pro on Mojave: vmtoolsd.exe not running

After upgrading to Fusion 11 Pro on macOS 10.14 Mojave VMware Tools are installed / upgraded, but vmtoolsd.exe is faulting on my Windows VM (Windows 10 1803 Enterprise 64-bit).

Windows Event Viewer reports:

Faulting application name: vmtoolsd.exe, version: 10.3.2.6765, time stamp: 0x5b8e5894

Faulting module name: vmtools.dll, version: 10.3.2.6765, time stamp: 0x5b8e581a

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000010007

Faulting process id: 0x1f68

VMware Tools are partly running, but missing features like copy/paste.

Any help or workarounds will be appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Parveen1988
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi There,

Looks like the some of the tool files are missing.

First make sure you take a backup or create a snapshot of the current state.

Now, tell me, what is the status of the "VMware tools" when you go to the Fusion Menu Bar-Virtual Machine

If it still says, "Install VMware tools" that means the tools have not been installed properly.

1. Go to Services.msc and see if VMware Tools is running, I assume it's not. See if you could restart it.

2. If this doesn't resolve your issue, then you need to delete VMware tools manually.

3 Uninstall VMware tools from control panel.

4. Delete VMware tools folders from below locations on the VM(mind, you might have to really focus with mouse because Mouse would behave waywardly.

C:/Program Files, ProgramData, AppData/Local/Roaming.

5. Restart the VM.

6. Install VM tools.

This should resolve your issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Parveen1988
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi There,

Looks like the some of the tool files are missing.

First make sure you take a backup or create a snapshot of the current state.

Now, tell me, what is the status of the "VMware tools" when you go to the Fusion Menu Bar-Virtual Machine

If it still says, "Install VMware tools" that means the tools have not been installed properly.

1. Go to Services.msc and see if VMware Tools is running, I assume it's not. See if you could restart it.

2. If this doesn't resolve your issue, then you need to delete VMware tools manually.

3 Uninstall VMware tools from control panel.

4. Delete VMware tools folders from below locations on the VM(mind, you might have to really focus with mouse because Mouse would behave waywardly.

C:/Program Files, ProgramData, AppData/Local/Roaming.

5. Restart the VM.

6. Install VM tools.

This should resolve your issue.

0 Kudos
erikmaaloe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

It worked. But I had to go through all the steps, including manually deleting the VMware folders.

Many thanks for the help!

jcstritt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your answer which is right. I still lost time for point 3 because uninstallation can not be done while vmware services run. So you have to stop them all one by one using the Windows utility services.msc. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
czer27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi FedEx-20,

I have the same problem "Fusion 11 Pro on Mojave: vmtoolsd.exe is not running", but in a new installed Fusion11, not upgraded from Fusion10.

My situation is another, because VMware tools in services, VMware folder in \Program Files, \Program Data, \AppData doesn´t exist.

So, from your advices stays only "Restart the VM, install VMtools new". That says nothing about, why vmtoolsd.exe is not starting.

After each installing VMtools, when it is not successfully, is running a rollback routine, and all VMware traces are erased.

For a really helpful advice, you must give more details, what is to do, when the vmtoolsd.exe cannot run.

On my Fusion I have found, that vmtoolsd.exe cannot find an api.dll and I should start the program again.

But this advice you can forget, it brings ever the same result.

Have you helpful details, then give it the community please.

czer27

0 Kudos