VMware Communities
nwsnowboarder
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 11.5.6 not supported on Mac OS 11 Big Sur Beta

Trying to start Fusion and get the following:

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 11.27.08 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-08 at 11.29.58 AM.png

Thought by installing the latest version of Fusion, it would be suppported, especially since the tech preview has been out for several months.

Tags (2)
32 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Only the Tech Preview supports Big Sur, you will either need to use it or downgrade your MacOS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
cnichols55
Contributor
Contributor

How do I download the tech preview?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Start here: VMware Fusion Pro Tech Preview

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
nwsnowboarder
Contributor
Contributor

Perhaps you missed this statement in my original post:

"Thought by installing the latest version of Fusion, it would be supported, especially since the tech preview has been out for several months."

My post is not seeking an answer, but to let people know that the software engineers do not have an even marginally working piece of software with their latest release, even though both Apple and Vmware have had developer versions in the pipeline for several months.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I wouldn’t expect GA software such as Fusion 11 to fully support hosting or running on a “moving target” such as the various beta versions of MacOS.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

It's no surprise at all that a production release of software, intended for use on Catalina, doesn't work on a beta version of a new operating system that includes significant changes to the underlying system.  The VMWare Tech Preview, which is the version that will have production support for 10.16 (i.e. will likely be Fusion 12), has supported it since early July.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Just a note - the link to the tech preview disappeared from this community, so it's much harder to find.  Any chance we can get it back?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderators don’t have the privileges to make those sorts of changes, sorry.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I think that technically we can, but we have never been authorized to make those type of changes and I think it wouldn't make sense either if we had been authorized.

Our title is "user moderator", not product manager. These announcements tend to come with an expiration date, so it is possible that it was unintended to disappear already.

But we can ask those responsible to have a look. Smiley Happy

What do you think Mikero​ ?

Would it be a good idea to get the "Tech Preview" announcement back for the Fusion and Workstation forums?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yah, I can put that back up.

It needs an expiration date, so it wasn't so much 'taken down' as it just passed the date we put in the system.

We're unable to take in any new bugfixes as we're passed FC at this point, but given Big Sur is so different it makes sense to keep it up to help users.

Just to be clear tho, Fusion 11.x will 100% NOT support Big Sur.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Thanks Mike, definitely makes it easier to point folks.

Now if we could just get *apple* to fix their bugs 🙂

SverreO
Contributor
Contributor

The link to the tech preview is gone again.

My challenge is that I have an encrypted version of a vmware image, even maybe with some special settings I cannot remember what was.

After upgrading to BigSur, Fusion 11 will not start, so upgraded to 12. The 12 version says I have to downgrade to a previous version of Fusion to work on that image. That is what I call a deadlock ...

==> "Restricted virtual machine is not supported by current VMware Fusion version" 

Reversing to Catalina is not really an option.

Is it possible to run a virtual machine that I can open with Fusion 12 (eg. a Windows image), install an old version of VMware SW there, and access the unsupported image from there again? A bit crazy, but running out of options ...

0 Kudos
SverreO
Contributor
Contributor

Solved it. Installed Fusion v10 inside a Parallels Guest OS running macOS Sierra, and was able to reconfigure the VMware image "remotely".

0 Kudos
DrHarrington
Contributor
Contributor

I don't understand these posts or what I'm supposed to do to resolve this. I just upgraded to MacOs Big Sur 11.0.1 and now I'm getting an error message that says VMWare is not supported by this. What do I need to do to get my VMWare working again??? In English, please. I'm not a technical person at all, so please explain clearly. Thank you!

GlennyG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Give VMWare money to 'upgrade' to version 12 which works on Big Sur.

Really hate to say this,  but never "upgrade" to a new version MacOS without waiting a few months - at least a couple of service packs.  Took Catalina nine months to start working properly.  (Am particularly scarred with this due to purchasing a 16" Mac which had to run on Catalina,  so had a ton of issues in the migration).

It's a pretty regular issue of getting a 'free' upgrade from Apple,  but have to pay VMWare handsomely to use your Windows machines.

SverreO
Contributor
Contributor

VMware player is also a free upgrade for students/home users (private). You lose some functionality, but Fusion 12 can be installed as a full version for trial in case you need to change some configurations.

0 Kudos
DrHarrington
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. I use VMWare solely for Quicken, which I use to track all of my personal and business finances. I desperately need to get VMWare back up and running ASAP so I can get into Quicken. I am fine upgrading to VMWare Fusion 12. But I need specific step-by-step instructions on how to do this when I don't have access to my Windows 10 because VMWare is down. Can someone please provide such instructions? 

0 Kudos
SverreO
Contributor
Contributor

1) Visit the vmware site here: https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/downloads/info/slug/desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_fusion/12_0

2) Download your client, wait for it to complete 🙂

3) Active the downloaded image (double press) and follow the instructions. If you chose to purchase a Pro license, or just register for the free Player version, enter the key, but you anyway have a few days of free trial to do anything you want.

4) Open Finder, and locate your vmware-image on your local disk. Choose "Open with" and then Fusion 12

There should be no need of altering any of your vmware image now just to get it started, but there could be minor configuration changes you should implement. Follow the guides.

Sufficient? 🙂

Good luck.

0 Kudos
ColonelPanick
Contributor
Contributor

This is a severely bizarre thread.  It's now December, BigSur is no longer in Beta,  and this is what I find in the top 5 hits when I Google this issue.    I will check the VMWare home page and start drilling from there for the official solution with working links.  I imagine there is a big announcement somewhere on the site with an absolute solution, regardless of which vendor is at fault for the incompatibility.  So, I'll go ahead and follow those instructions, because I'm certain they'll be right there, when I go and navigate from the VMWare home page.

0 Kudos