VMware Communities
sdhaines
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 11.5.5 hosed Unity usability on Catalina 10.15.5

Running Fusion 11.5.5 on Os X Catalina 10.15.5 with Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1909 build 18363.863 as guest. Prior to updating yesterday unity worked just fine, but after the update dragging a window to reposition is painful. It's both slow and "jittery", which makes it virtually unusable. Single window and fullscreen mode are fine, but disruptive to my work flow. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Scott

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sethheon
Contributor
Contributor

Have same jittery window after upgraded to 11.5.5

0 Kudos
deac33
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem as described:  Unity mode sluggish and jittery moving when windows but Single Window is fast and fine.

macOS Big Sur 11.1 (20C69)
      VMWare Fusion 12: Player Version 12.1.0 (17195230)
      Fresh Install of Windows 7 to VmWare
      vmware tools just reinstalled.

0 Kudos
davidew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same for me

0 Kudos
deac33
Contributor
Contributor

To make moving windows in Unity Mode smoother can VMWare engineers modify the code to just show the frame of the window being moved until the move is finished?    Keeping all graphics detail in the window during the move isn't necessary and uses lots and lots of CPU.   Just showing the window frame would take much fewer resources and I'm sure it would make the move much smoother.  After the move stops then refill the detail of the window.

davidew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, just “freezing” the window content would be better, since I think that moving around a static image is simpler and would be smoother than current experience.

But I think that VMWare engineers could do something better; they could apply some changes so that when we are Unity, and we drag the window, the window in the Guest OS virtual desktop stays still and the movement is performed by MacOs (host os). Now, when we are in Unity, dragging a window is laggy and painful because VMware fusion and the guest OS have to cooperate to make the dragging happen, but if I swipe with 3 fingers to open mission control the movement of the window (in this case it is operated by a MacOs feature and the guest OS doesn’t “know” about it) is perfectly smooth and I think vmware engineers could extend this approach to unity mode.

0 Kudos
davidew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nobody cares... I'mma switch to Parallels

0 Kudos