VMware Communities
JohnD0406
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion 11.5.5 USB is BROKEN - proof

Was running Fusion 11.5.3 on Catalina 10.15.4 with no issues.  Upgraded to Fusion 11.5.5 and could no longer forward/mount USB drives in Win10 guest.

• Upgraded the Win10 VM to May 2020 update, did not resolve the issue.
  • Upgraded Catalina to 10.15.5, did not resolve the issue.
  • Removed/reinstalled VMware tools, did not resolve the issue.
  • Downgraded to Fusion 11.5.3 and can finally mount USB drives again.

I plan to stick with 11.5.3 for a long time, until release notes in a future version specifically address this issue.

52 Replies
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi JohnD0406,

Can you try with the following steps and see if it helps:

1) Quit Fusion

2) Reboot the macOS host

3) Launch Fusion and give it a try again.

Also, does the usb drive work in other VMs like Linux or macOS?

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
JohnD0406
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would like to see you upgrade macOS without:

1) Quit Fusion

2) Reboot macOS host

3) Launch Fusion and give it a try again.

Really?  Thanks for the attempted help I guess, but please read more carefully.

PS - I guess you totally missed the part about it working fine again after downgrading Fusion.

PPS - To answer your question, USB drives would not mount in other Win10 or macOS VM's.

0 Kudos
KamenGopin84
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi John, can you please share info about the model of the device(s) you are using.

0 Kudos
JohnD0406
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sure - I'll list everything in the chain (that's used/tested and relevant to this issue).  Let me know if you would like any additional info.

2010 Mac Pro, dual X5690, 96GB RAM

Sonnet Allegro Pro 4-port USB 3.0 PCIe card in slot 3 (4x controllers)

Onnto Datatale 4-bay USB3 RAID (NTFS formatted)

Oyen Digital Mobius 5-bay USB3 RAID (HFS formatted)

LG Blu-ray drive in OWC USB3 enclosure

Win10 Pro x64 VM - primary

Win10 Pro x64 VM - nearly fresh install

macOS High Sierra VM - latest security updates

I've been using Fusion since version 8, and USB forwarding has been working fine through 11.5.3, but broke in 11.5.5.

If this affected multiple VM's, after rebooting the VM's, rebooting the host, removing/reinstalling VMware tools, upgrading the VM to the May 2020 update, upgrading the host to 10.15.5 (with security patch) all didn't solve the problem, but then downgrading to Fusion 11.5.3 allowed everything to work again, it would appear that something was broken in Fusion 11.5.5.

0 Kudos
KamenGopin84
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi John, thanks for the info! Would it be possible for you to collect a Fusion Support Bundle which demonstrates the problem? This will greatly facilitate the investigation.

You can collect a Fusion Support Bundle from "Help > Collect Support Information". It would be good to enable USB Verbose logging before reproducing the issue. You can do that from "Virtual Machine > Settings > Advanced > Enabled Verbose USB Debugging".

0 Kudos
JohnD0406
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I actually did create a bundle at some point, but can't rely on my memory as to exactly when that was.  It certainly was during the issue, probably early on before any upgrades or too much troubleshooting.  I just checked and the "enable verbose USB debugging" option was not checked.  Do you have an email address I should send it to?

PS - I'm using the Mac host and Win10 VM for working from home, so cannot take the system down and run any additional testing in 11.5.5, at least not for quite a while.  The system is stable again (with the bonus of both OS's being fully up to date), after downgrading to 11.5.3, so I'm happy for now.  I hope you do find something useful in the logs, and it's fixed in the next version.  For now, I intend to skip 11.5.5, and have put that update on ignore.

0 Kudos
KamenGopin84
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Do you have an email address I should send it to?

The support bundle is large so it would probably be best to upload it to VMware's FTP. Check out the "Uploading through the FTP portal using your web browser" section in VMware Knowledge Base​​​ . You can name the directory in FTP, say, community634843.

Thanks,

Kamen

0 Kudos
JohnD0406
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I successfully uploaded, but can't see any files, even with a refresh - I assume that's by design.  Let me know if you don't see the bundle.

0 Kudos
KamenGopin84
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks John, I successfully retrieved the bundle.

0 Kudos
DexterRivera
Contributor
Contributor

JohnD0406​  how did you downgrade?  I am having the same issue.

KamenGopin84
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

HI DexterRivera

Would you be so kind to collect a Fusion Support Bundle which demonstrates the issue.

1) Enable USB Verbose logging from "Virtual Machine > Settings > Advanced > Enabled Verbose USB Debugging"

2) Reproduce the issue one more time

2) Generate a Support Bundle from "Help > Collect Support Information".

3) Upload the Support Bundle from VMware's FTP portal using  (see VMware Knowledge Base ). You can name the directory in FTP community634843-2.

0 Kudos
JohnD0406
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I downgraded by simply downloading "VMware-Fusion-11.5.3-15870345.dmg" and running the installer.

PS - Before downgrading, please upload your support bundle as requested so they can fix this issue.  The instructions are here:

VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
DexterRivera
Contributor
Contributor

KamenGopin84​ I was not able to create a directory but i was able to upload the file named "community634843-2-VMware Fusion Problem Report 2020-06-04 at 11.40.00.zip"

0 Kudos
DexterRivera
Contributor
Contributor

JohnD0406​ after uploading the log I ran the installer to downgrade to 11.5.3.  That did not help me.  I am also having issue getting network connection using NAT now I only can use Bridge.  I will now try a complete uninstall/reinstall.

0 Kudos
KamenGopin84
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi DexterRivera​,

I managed to download the support bundle at community634843-2-VMware Fusion Problem Report 2020-06-04 at 11.40.00.zip

However, judging from the logs this is a Fusion 11.5.3, not a 11.5.5:

2020-06-04T11:30:05.898-08:00| vmx| I125: Log for VMware Fusion pid=15886 version=11.5.3 build=build-15870345 option=Release

My impression was that you are seeing the issue with the new Fusion 11.5.5. Can you please confirm.

Thanks,

Kamen

0 Kudos
DexterRivera
Contributor
Contributor

KamenGopin84​ I thought I had updated.  Hmm, maybe the update was for macOS.  I am now running macOS 10.15.5.  Are there known issues with that update?  I have since uninstalled Vmware Fusion, deleted all preference files both system and user, reinstalled Fusion 11.5.1 (see attached) and still have issue with USB and network connections.  I'm going to create a new VM and see if issue persists.

0 Kudos
KamenGopin84
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

DexterRivera​​, can you check if the instructions in the following thread help. You can also try updating to Fusion 11.5.5. As far as I understand, you haven't tried Fusion 11.5.5 yet.

Solved: NO USB

0 Kudos
KamenGopin84
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sorry, the thread I was talking about is: NO USB

0 Kudos
JohnD0406
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DexterRivera​ There are no issues with Catalina 10.15.5 and Fusion 11.5.3 (at least none I've found).