VMware Communities
Edo4rdo
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 10 still limited to 8GB for Guest OS?

I need to upgrade some VM licenses and Fusion 10 is a candidate.

The only thing that is holding me is the maximum memory available to the Guest OS which I know it is 8GB in Fusion 8.

I this still the case also for Fusion 10? I can't find this documented anywhere.

6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Limits, and their dependencies can be found at Virtual machine memory limits and hardware versions (1014006) | VMware KB

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

... see also https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Fusion/10.0/fusion-10-user-guide.pdf  ("Virtual Hardware Specifications").

André

0 Kudos
Edo4rdo
Contributor
Contributor

This question was not about theoretical technical specifications but rather VMWare marketing "strategy".

In fact in Fusion 8, one of the differences between the normal and the Pro versions were the memory limit imposed to customers for the maximum configurable memory for the Guest OS.

In Fusion 8, this was set to 8GB and I'm checking if this limit is still there because I believe the Pro version price difference is not worth the 4GB of extra memory I would like to configure my Guest OS with.

So, to re-iterate the question maybe in a simpler way: did anyone try to configure a guest os with more than 8GB with the non-Pro version of VMWare Fusion 10? Are we still limited to 8GB?

0 Kudos
KumarLande
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

On Fusion 10, virtual machine can handle upto 64GB RAM. So depending on how much RAM is available on your Mac depending on that, you can assign to the virtual machine.

However please ensure that to not exceed the quota.

For example : If your Mac has 8GB in total, then keeping 4GB for Mac rest can be assigned to the virtual machine.

To increase the RAM follow : Increasing the amount of memory assigned to a virtual machine (1004059) | VMware KB

Cheerz..

Kumar

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I don't believe that Fusion 8 non Pro version is limited to 8 GB, there are other reasons why you might not have been able to set a larger RAM assignment. This is the FIRST time I ever hear this claim and I've been with Fusion since version 1.0

The limitation on how much memory your guest can run has always been depending on:

- the amount of memory your guest OS allows (for example 32 bits, but also certain Windows versions like Windows home don't go over a limit, see also https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#physical_memory_... )

- the virtual hardware version selected, you can still run with old virtual hardware on newer Fusion versions. Eg. Virtual Hardware version 9 (That's Fusion 5!) was limited to 8GB. Fusion 6 and higher allows for 64GB or RAM per VM. To change your virtual hardware, shut down the VM, go to Settings -> Compatibility. Select a hardware version > 9

As for your question on Fusion10 non Pro limits:

Run Windows on Mac | Virtual Machine for Mac | VMware Fusion

or to put it in a screenshot:

pastedImage_2.png

If you are seeing this problem in Fusion 8, then please attach a vmware.log file to a reply here so we can take a look as it certainly is not normal.

In that case then please also state the hardware details (model, amount of RAM in the machine etc..)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

We do not, have not, and will not limit how big you can make a VM outside of our platform's support.

I.e. the platform (which is the same as vSphere) can run up to 64GB of RAM per VM.

We do not limit this in Fusion standard vs. Fusion Pro.

I know of at least one other Mac virtualization app that doesn't share our thoughts on this functionality.

Fusion Pro differentiates in the following ways:

• Fusion API
  • Clones (Full + Linked)
  • Virtual Networking
  • vSphere/Workstation Remote controls
-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos