VMware Communities
HSomb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion 10 on MacOS High Sierra won't run any VM

Hi,

I've just installed Fusion 10 today on High Sierra (final release). Ever since I did so, I haven't been unable to run any of my VMs.

The error is always the same "Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to". I've tried to create new VMs but the end result is the same.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

HSomb

58 Replies
sadcup
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, CoryAJohnson

Sorry for what is happening.

Don't worry about your VM, it won't be broken.

We just need a way to resolve the kext extensions couldn't be loaded on your Mac.

It seems your problem has several potential ways to resolve.

One of them may be the conflicts between Virtual Box and VMware Fusion may lead this.

"Could not open /dev/vmmon" on macOS 10.12

Some users resolve the problem by uninstalling virtual box completely.

0 Kudos
CoryAJohnson
Contributor
Contributor

I do not have virtual box installed, unless it was installed as part of macOS.

0 Kudos
Gideon007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I struggled with this as well and might be able to shed some more light on it.

In addition the non-starting VMs, I found another oddity that even though I started Fusion from the dock icon it would open a new dock icon. Looking at the Fusion process in the Activity Manager, I found that the process that ran was not /Applications/VMWARE Fusion.app but /private/var/folders/wv/61rq21kn77s3_ggcn68bmj3w0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/something-something-something/d/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/MacOS/VMware Fusion

So it seems that Fusion's installation is triggering the App Translocation https://lapcatsoftware.com/articles/app-translocation.html

My Fix: Moving the app from /Applications to my HOME folder and then moving it back to /Applications by using Finder. Using Finder is the important step!

On the next start, I got the security prompt about the kext files and allowed them in the security options. And viola, no more "internal error", my VMs start again.

So for some reason your install is triggering this for some people. Happened also after a reinstallation attempt as outlined above. This was with Fusion 10.0.1, never had the release version installed.

sadcup
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Congratulation!

And thanks for sharing the solution.

0 Kudos
ClarkeThomas
Contributor
Contributor

unfortunately that option didn't work for me. Only way I could get it to work was to disable SIP.

0 Kudos
HSomb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In my case not even disabling SIP worked!

I would love if VMware actually tested software in "real world" conditions before shipping it. By the number of posts in these forums alone one can clearly see they didn't.

0 Kudos
Nightwing1
Contributor
Contributor

Had the same issue guys. Took me about two hours to figure it out. Go:

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Click Allow down the bottom where VM Ware has been blocked.

Hope it fixes it for you guys as well.

HSomb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Nightwing1,

Thanks for your input. One of the issues it's just that there is nothing to be "unblocked".

I actually installed Parallels today and indeed I had to unblock it. But not with Fusion. It simply doesn't work.

0 Kudos
Gideon007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HsBomb, did you do the trick of moving the Fusion app somewhere else and then moving it back into /Applications with Finder? Starting Fusion after this *should* give the option to allow the kexts in the security setting.

0 Kudos
ajust75
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Had the exact same problem. Just upgraded to version 10.01 released today and now everything is working.

Just to let you know.

0 Kudos
HSomb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Gideon,

Yeah I tried that but without results unfortunately.

0 Kudos
Gideon007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry, I hoped that would help more people.

I hope VMWare fixes these bugs with Fusion fast!

0 Kudos
CoryAJohnson
Contributor
Contributor

I originally installed High Sierra with Bit Locker enabled and the option that Nightwing1 suggested was not there like others are suggesting. However, I reinstalled High Siera over the weekend with the Bit Locker disabled and the option was available in settings to allow.  This was for Fusion 10. I have not tried with fusion 8.5.8

0 Kudos
sadcup
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, CoryAJohnson

Your information was very useful to identify what stops the Fusion install scripts.

And the install scripts needs to be enhanced to cover different Macs.

0 Kudos
simone_girlanda
Contributor
Contributor

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Click Allow down the bottom where VM Ware has been blocked.

this solved also on may mac

0 Kudos
HSomb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi guys,

Good news (I hope) for those that, like me, had this issue still going on.

I installed the latest update for macOS right now and.... surprise surprise... I finally got the

I've allowed it and it's now running! Smiley Happy

zhaokaiy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, Hugo

Very glad to hear the news.

Thanks for choosing VMware Fusion.

0 Kudos
hardwickj
Contributor
Contributor

I'm in the same exact boat as HSomb was, except I'm using 10.0.1 and I'm still not seeing anything about approving an extension.

Really frustrating to "upgrade" from 8+ to this. Completely broken.

0 Kudos
waterhead
Contributor
Contributor

I am in your boat too. Just bought Fusion 10.01.1 this morning and I have the latest High Sierra build of 10.13.1. Like others there is nothing in Security and Privileges to unlock/allow.

I did import a Parallels VM but Fusion tells me that there is no peer process to connect to. I went through  the suggested steps (restart Mac, delete then reinstall Fusion but still no joy.

This app is simply not fit for purpose.

0 Kudos
waterhead
Contributor
Contributor

Termianl tells me this

Kext rejected due to system policy: <OSKext 0x7fba29f20320 [0x7fffa3a93570]> { URL = "file:///Library/StagedExtensions/Applications/VMware%20Fusion.app/Contents/Library/kexts/vmmon.kext/", ID = "com.vmware.kext.vmx86" }

Diagnostics for /Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/kexts/vmmon.kext:

0 Kudos