VMware Communities
blondce
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 10 on MacBook Pro High Sierra, Windows 7, can't see USB adapter in USB-C Port

I have a newer MacBook Pro running High Sierra and Fusion 10.  Using a virtual Windows 7 machine that was upgraded from Fusion 8.

The MacBook Pro has only USB-c ports, but I need to attach an external drive which uses a USB connection.  I am not able to get Fusion to see the USB device.  I have tried this with a hub, and with a straight USB-C/USB adapter.

Fusion does see my USB-C ubikey, so I know the native port works.

Any suggestion on connectors/adapters that Fusion will be able to see in this scenario? 

Thanks

Susan

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Did you try a USB 2.0 hub?  Windows 7 doesn't support USB 3 natively.

0 Kudos
blondce
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, tried a usb 2 adapter, and also installed USB 3.o in Windows 7

0 Kudos
JessieZhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

blondce​,

You said that you were unable to get Fusion to see the USB device, we can understand it in two ways:

1. The USB device is not listed on the VM's USB & Bluetooth Settings

2. The USB device is listed on the VM's USB & Bluetooth Settings, but after you check the checkbox to connect the USB device to the Windows 7 VM, the USB device does not appear inside the Windows 7 OS

Could you clarify which is your problem?

Besides there are some other information that we would like to collect from you:

1. What is the file system format of the USB device? Does it use GPT partition or MBR partition

2. Please reproduce the issue then select Fusion menu "Help" > "Collect Support Information", that will create a support bundle on your Mac desktop which contains a set of logs. Could you please provide the support bundle to us?

Best Regards,

Jessie

0 Kudos