VMware Communities
davidm2017
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 10 on High Sierra existing and new VMs do not start, get Internal Error

Installed Fusion 10 this afternoon, no vm will start now. Linux, Windows or MacOS get the same Internal Error. Have created a new VM, does not start with the same error. Have rebooted the MacBook Pro, no change. Tried adding mks.enableMTLRenderer = "0" to the vmx file, no change. The vm was paused when I upgraded Fusion, have gone in and remove the.vmem, .nvram files, no change.

15 Replies
Gideon007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think I solved this in Fusion 10 on MacOS High Sierra won't run any VM post #22.

Shut Fusion down and use Finder (not any other file manager) to move the VM Ware Fusion.app to another folder and then back into the /applications folder (you need admin rights). Then start Fusion again and it should mention a security problem with the kernel extensions that you need to allow in the security settings of OS X.

genxinc321
Contributor
Contributor

Although I did not receive a security warning, these steps fixed my issue.  Thanks for the help! 

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

If the first answer did not help, could you tell us from what year your Macbook Pro is?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
IngoS
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, after searching extensivly all over the web in order to solve my similar issue, your hint was very helpful and solved my problem. Thanks for publishing your finding.

Ingo

0 Kudos
gowenzl
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I tried everything from the different discussions on this forum and I still cannot start any of the VM´s in my Fusion 10.0.1. I have reinstalled three times - restarted everything - I do not have any more ideas what to do.

My system is macOS 10.13.2. It seems that my OS is blocking the kext files and I do not get the "Allow this extension" in the Security Panel of System Preferences.

Thanks for any help or hint!

What I see in the console is this:

Unable to simultaneously satisfy constraints:

(

"<NSAutoresizingMaskLayoutConstraint:0x618000097520 h=--& v=--& NSToolbarItemViewer:0x7fb89df586c0.height == 5   (active)>",

"<NSAutoresizingMaskLayoutConstraint:0x6180000972f0 h=--& v=-&- V:|-(3)-[_NSToolbarSpace:0x60c0001446d0]   (active, names: '|':NSToolbarItemViewer:0x7fb89df586c0 )>",

"<NSAutoresizingMaskLayoutConstraint:0x6180000972a0 h=--& v=-&- _NSToolbarSpace:0x60c0001446d0.minY == 7   (active, names: '|':NSToolbarItemViewer:0x7fb89df586c0 )>"

)

Will attempt to recover by breaking constraint

<NSAutoresizingMaskLayoutConstraint:0x6180000972f0 h=--& v=-&- V:|-(3)-[_NSToolbarSpace:0x60c0001446d0]   (active, names: '|':NSToolbarItemViewer:0x7fb89df586c0 )>

Set the NSUserDefault NSConstraintBasedLayoutVisualizeMutuallyExclusiveConstraints to YES to have -[NSWindow visualizeConstraints:] automatically called when this happens.  And/or, set a symbolic breakpoint on LAYOUT_CONSTRAINTS_NOT_SATISFIABLE to catch this in the debugger.

and this:

Failed to connect (savedToolbar) outlet from (PLVMPrimaryWindow) to (NSToolbar): missing setter or instance variable

0 Kudos
VirtualMac2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wow, it worked as described here:

Cannot open virtual machines - You can’t open the application - Application cannot run correctly - Internal error

Re: Cannot open virtual machines - You can’t open the application - Application cannot run correctly...

You made my day!

Season’s greetings and Happy New Year!

0 Kudos
Antilamps
Contributor
Contributor

It solved my problem, too! Thanks mate!

0 Kudos
Justinnn
Contributor
Contributor

thanks, this worked for me as well.

0 Kudos
nsharpaus
Contributor
Contributor

In my case, I could not import any of my Linux-based OVAs. I _was_ able to load one of Microsoft's Win IE OVAs, but it failed the first time (second time was imported as 'less strict').

What I found was the problem for me was that I was trying to import the OVAs from an external drive. The Windows OVA (the one that finally worked) was on my main SSD drive. Once I moved my Linux-based OVAs to my main SSD drive, they imported without any trouble. Go figure.

All the other fixes (moving the app and back, checking the .mf SCSI settings, etc.) did nothing for me. I got the original security failure that requires going to System Preferences -> Security, and I got that part to work. However, I could not import the OVAs until they were on my main SSD drive.

I am using VMware Fusion Professional Version 10.1.3 (9472307).

0 Kudos
duvidel
Contributor
Contributor

I am running Fusion 10.1.3 on High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G65). On September 2nd, I had to completely wipe and reinstall my OS because of a lot of weird issues including the hard drive space dropping from 200 GB free to 25 in the the course of a week. Also, I had issues with the Time Machine menu in System preferences like being unable to select an Airport Device. After I reinstalled most of the apps in alphabetical order, I was glad to have VMWare Fusion back. Perhaps the virtual machines themselves weren't working or somehow became corrupted over time. However, I don't recall getting an Internal Error before the wipe. I don't mind eliminating a little bloat on the Windows 10 operating system, but it's really the only reason I have VMWare Fusion.

After reading this thread,  I have moved the app to a different place and back to applications, then ripped and reinstalled Fusion to no avail. I even removed both my Linux and a Windows 10 virtual machines and tried to start creating a new Windows 10 virtual machine from a DVD iso. I still got an internal error. My last steps would be to try to restore  the app and the virtual machines from Time Machine, but there's the chance I am merely replacing the same virtual machines which don't boot.

1. Does anyone have any ideas about the restoration idea and the risk of corrupted files?

2. Is there another app like Open Box which I can use with my Fusion VM files in the mean time?

I can't afford a support contract, but if anyone understand the support files and is willing to take a look, I can upload them to Dropbox and share them.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Duvidel,

You should not trust virtual machines stored in Time Machine (see my sig for the why), even VMware recommends you to not backup VMs using Time Machine.

If you do end up restoring a VM that way, then please make a copy of that VM before doing so as chances are considerable that your restore will break things more instead of fixing it.

If you get "internal error" as mentioned in the first post then it is Fusion itself having a problem and not your VM that isn't working.

If you have free space dropping on your host then that's another time machine issue where TM makes local copies on your disk when it cannot access the backup device.

Reclaiming drive space by thinning Apple File System snapshot backups | Der Flounder

I have listed the most other common reasons for this error here:

VMware Fusion on macOS High Sierra - System Extension Blocked - PlanetVM

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
duvidel
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you wila  I went through the links you sent. I checked my permissions and the system preferences/ security options, ran the xattr commands, and reinstalled the app. I still got an internal error. I moved the app to somewhere else and back, and still got an internal error with my existing Virtual Machines. Then, I started a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro with my legal and valid key, but I still got an internal error.  Since that did not work, I also tried installing CentOS Linux 7, and got an internal error. Both VMs use their respective .iso files for install.

That's about all I have for now. My wipe and reinstall occurred 20 days ago. Everything else works fine except for VMWare. I don't know what else to do in terms of installation as this was my third try based on your instructions.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

In that case something out of the ordinary is going on.

One other area where I have seen this type of error is if somebody had other software installed that interfered with VMware Fusion.

Atm I'm a bit busy so might not have the time to follow up.

Have you tried opening a ticket with VMware? I don't think you need to get a separate support contract for that when using Fusion.

Another thing you can try is installing the preview version of Fusion 11 (which is released later today, so you might just try to install Fusion 11 instead of the preview)

--

Wil

0 Kudos
duvidel
Contributor
Contributor

wila​ Thanks again! I will attempt opening a ticket with VMWare.

0 Kudos
duvidel
Contributor
Contributor

I kept having problems and the ticket was not helpful. At this point, I am waiting to try macOS Mohave and see if Fusion 20 plays nicer. A VM rep won’t let me try 11 and says it’s a paid upgrade. I can’t afford a technical support contract. Virtualbox may be my last refuge as I need to keep this venturs on the cheap, but it won’t ruin my life if I can’t run Windows. It is not worth it to me to partition and use Bootcamp.

0 Kudos