VMware Communities
Progressor
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 10 breaks bluetooth on macbook

If I close Fusion (after I've been using Windows XP VM for example), sometimes I lose bluetooth. It is lost entirely... bluetooth icon at the right side of my macbook's menu bar says "Bluetooth not available". It will not come back until I restart macos. This is Fusion Pro 10.0.1 on High Sierra supplemental update. It's a real nuissance because I use my macbook in clamshell mode with bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Can't use them without bluetooth.

65 Replies
Crematum
Contributor
Contributor

It's frustrating that support keeps telling us they are working on it and it will be included in a "future" update.  I got the same reply a few months ago and this still is not fixed yet.  The funny part is that, just like your note, they wanted to close the case even though the issue is not resolved.  Found that kind of funny.  Let me close the case under the assumption that the fix we are working on may resolve your issue.  Geez.

0 Kudos
Crematum
Contributor
Contributor

Any new news on a fix for this?

0 Kudos
bcrsr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I’ve been looking online every couple of days. Nothing. Three months since the last garbage update. Seems that VMware does not care about Fusion. I’ve come to the conclusion after reading all of these posts that I’ve been ripped off. No update, no communication, no refund - just nothing. Anyone who is in IT understands what has happened. This is the prime result of the offshoring of the development talent. Just so happens that we are the customers rather than the employees that have been let go.

0 Kudos
Crematum
Contributor
Contributor

Quality and responsiveness have pretty much gone into the toilet since they off-shored development for Fusion.  It's sad, their desktop applications are what started this company.  I remember using VMWare 1.0 on a PC, seems like just yesterday.  They were churning out updates and enhancements on a frequent basis.  Now I think they just hope we are all dumb enough to buy an upgrade to VMWare 11, when that comes out, just to fix the problems we are having (or discover the problems exist in the new version).

0 Kudos
simonjwright
Contributor
Contributor

Not so sure it’s a Fusion problem, at any rate with Macbooks: I reverted to 8, but the problem continues even when I’m not using Fusion at all. Sometimes sleeping (i.e. closing the lid) will fix it, sometimes not.

billearl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree it's likely an Apple Bluetooth problem more than a VMware problem. If so, I wish VMware would confirm that, and if they are working with Apple to fix it.

I too have experienced it outside of Fusion. Fortunately, in my case, it always reconnects soon after disconnecting, but is annoying.

0 Kudos
Crematum
Contributor
Contributor

I have only experienced bluetooth issues when using Fusion (both on an iMac and a Mac Book).  Almost always on startup or shutdown of VMWare or a VM and occasionally while the VM is running.  I never have issues when Fusion is not running.  I haven't gone back to the prior version, but I do not recall ever having this problem with the prior version.  And, for ha-has, I also tried other VM software like Parallels and Virtual Box and neither of them exhibit this behavior... I hate Parallels because of their subscription model (also the license is just for a single computer) and Virtual Box is pokey.

0 Kudos
enjayaitch
Contributor
Contributor

On my 2017 iMac, I am using Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. The mouse very often disconnects on launch of the app, and sometimes again on launch of a VM. Occasionally the keyboard disconnects but so far never both.  In all cases the disconnected device reconnects again within a few seconds.

Seems to me me there is a glitch related to sharing Bluetooth with VMs, but whereas the iMac recovers, maybe the notebooks don’t.

0 Kudos
jonoslack
Contributor
Contributor

It has also been happening to me on a fairly random basis, but only when either loading or unloading the VMware app

Is there any more news on this one?

0 Kudos
Crematum
Contributor
Contributor

So, it has been almost 5 months since the last update to Fusion.  Any news on an update that will resolve this problem?  I really miss the old VMWare who was responsive and pumped out frequent updates to the software.

0 Kudos
Crematum
Contributor
Contributor

I just noticed that a 10.1.2 update came out not long after my last post.  The release notes did NOT mention it was fixed, but am going to test to see if the issue is resolved (bluetooth disconnects randomly when starting/stopping VMware or VMs).  Crossing fingers.

jonoslack
Contributor
Contributor

I’ve just installed it

I’ll be testing later on this afternoon

fingers crossed here too!

0 Kudos
billearl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No joy here with Fusion 10.1.2. Same disconnect / connect problem as before, but also at other random times, especially when starting my iMac. It looks to me more like an Apple problem than a VMware problem, unless there is a VMware background process causing it when Fusion is not running.

0 Kudos
jonoslack
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there

It's possible it isn't only VMWare's fault, but it certainly is at least partly their fault.

Personally it's only ever happened when closing (or opening) VMWare.

best

0 Kudos
JeffH322
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I’ve been fighting to get a serial Bluetooth device to connect to the guest all night. Then I found this article!

I’m using High Sierra with latest update and Fusion 10.1.2 and a Windows 7 Pro SP1 Guest.

I hope a resolution becomes available soon!

0 Kudos
jonoslack
Contributor
Contributor

Hi There

I think it's worse with the latest release.

What I do (to make life possible) is to turn off bluetooth when loading vmware - opening a virtual machine - closing a virtual machine - unloading VMware . . . and then turning it on again afterwards.

0 Kudos
dmarnel
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also having this issue on an iMac, only when launching/quitting the Fusion app, but it eventually reconnects after about 5 seconds. This has only started happening for me within the past few months that I recall. Not sure if it started happening after a Fusion update or an OS X update.

0 Kudos
scsiboy71
Contributor
Contributor

I've been seeing the same issue for some time now. MBP 11,1 OS 10.13.4 drops both the BT keyboard and trackpad. Currently in Fusion 10.1.2, but it's been doing it since previous versions.

Interestingly, VMware Remote console was doing the same thing in version 10.0.1 but updating VMRC to 10.0.2 seems to have fixed the problem. I'm pretty sure Fusion and VMRC have very similar underpinnings. If so, there is a fix but is was added to VMRC but not Fusion. Frustrating.

I'd love to know if there's any confirmation on the bug fix date for this.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
bcrsr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you have VMRC installed on the same machine at the same time as Fusion?

0 Kudos
scsiboy71
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I do.

0 Kudos