Contributor

Fusion 10.13.6 compatible with Mojave?

Is Fusion 10 working on Mojave?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

It is not supported.  Some people report that it works, others report that it has problems.  If you do run it, make sure you have frequent backups of your virtual machines.  Time machine is not adequate!

More importantly, there is no guarantee that it'll receive security patches, and virtual machines are a common threat vector.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Doug,

Agreed with the "not supported" part on macOS Mojave.

So far I have not read anywhere that VMware officially supports macOS Mojave for Fusion 10, although indirectly their documentation suggests they do.

System Requirements for Fusion

In particular this bit:

OS X 10.11 or later for the host OS

The "not sure if it receives security patches" isn't true though.

VMware Fusion 10 is supported until the end of March of 2019, so VMware commits themselves to providing security patches until that time.

As long as it isn't End Of Life, it will get security patches.

For details, see the link below.

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/support/product-lifecycle-matrix.p...

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

It should, though for consumer products I often find that companies fail to back port code, particularly if the new version isn't vulnerable. 

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Agreed that not all companies are that active with back porting patches.

However I have never caught VMware on that with Workstation or Fusion when the product is not End of life.

It is a major part of the life cycle and I'm happy that VMware takes that seriously.

Case in point, the latest issue was only in Fusion 10 / Workstation 14 and they patched it just fine.

VMware Security Advisory 2018-0026 ≈ Packet Storm

FWIW for people who want to stay informed, sign up to the VMware mailing list here:

Security-announce Info Page

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Fair point - they're far better than Apple 🙂

0 Kudos