VMware Communities
MaciekP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion 10.1.6 and MacOS CATALINA?

Hi,

I still use Fusion 10.1.6 with MOJOAVe as HOST with no problems.

Anyone tested 10.1.6 under CATALINA?

30 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Ahh, missed that.

I hope VMWare converts to subscription licenses sometime soon - all this kludge to make old versions work just doesn't make sense.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I do not really think that it is great that people are trying to get older versions to work on Catalina.

If they don't wish to spent money on upgrades, the alternative is that the user switches to another virtualisation product.

Maybe good for the user, less ideal for VMware as that user is less likely to come back.

So yes it certainly isn't great to use an older VMware Fusion product that has a number of known security vulnerabilities.

Perhaps a subscription model could help a bit there, although I think it would mostly benefit the business users.

Personally I think that those are the users who already don't mind paying for the upgrades.

The home/private users however are IMO not such a great match for a subscription model. Of course it depends on a number of factors, such as what the actual price would be.

I do however think that we would still have people on the non subscription model 8 years from now, with basically the same old questions.

FWIW as a user I'm _not_ a fan of subscriptions. As a company selling those subscriptions it is another story.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Subscriptions always end up costing consumers more than the standard licenses ever did. I don't want every update, I generally use the software till it doesn't work for my needs anymore.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

For me, as long as the price is roughly what the annual upgrade cost is, and there are compelling new features, it's wash financially, and provides predictable revenue for the company to fund development. 

I view OS compatibility as a compelling new feature (when apple changes the OS, it takes time and money for the dev team to update the app to work properly).  Security fixes are something different. I do security for a living, so understand that they are critical, but since they can be viewed as a defect in the original product, it's not exactly a new feature.  That's why I actually prefer a subscription model as it creates a stronger incentive to get it right up front (lower maintenance costs).  Periodic licensing can actually create a perverse incentive to *not* get it right, since the security fixes can trigger upgrade spend.

In any case, I appreciate that they've moved to a .5 model again this year, but fully expect that next year will be a paid upgrade again.  I have no expectation that a version from several years ago will continue to work.  One of the companies that I work with (not VMware!) had a huge outcry from people who'd last bought software 6 or 7 years ago.  They were outraged that an OS update was going to break their ancient versions, and were excoriating the company on social media.  The company privately told me that they didn't view those people as customers since they weren't buying (and wouldn't buy) software anyway.  That's a fair point, and that realization made it easier for them to transition to a subscription model - they weren't leaving customers behind, even if they were leaving users behind.

It hit home recently when I suffered through the 'game-pocalypse' on Catalina.  A ton of my old mac games stopped working (and won't work in a VM because of the 3d graphics issue) - so all that spend is lost.  I'd be happy to pay for an upgrade, but the publisher isn't going to do it because most people won't, so there's no business case to justify the development. 

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I hear you and am agreeing with you on most points. It doesn't make me like subscriptions more though... with most types of subscriptions you are being forced to upgrade even if that upgrade takes things away that you liked. It's a model that IMO benefits the supplier slightly more than the customer.

A bit off topic, but Catalina was a very expensive upgrade for my product (Vimalin), both in time as well as cost. However I did not ending up deciding to make it a "pay for" upgrade.
It's not always that black & white with costs versus benefits. There are more parts for that particular decision and I think VMware also does understand that quite well. Catalina must have been a painful transition for them, yet they did not pass that cost on to their customers.

Of course you do prefer to have your customers keep on using a supported version of your product.

For VMware Fusion that version is 11.x and I do hope that most people in here trying to get older versions to work do not see that as a long term solution as the likeliness of them going to end up getting into trouble because of that decision increases over time.

Anyways.. 'nuff said on this from my part Smiley Wink

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

And on mine! 🙂

Apple's mucking about with the file system, hopefully, is coming to an end for this iteration.

0 Kudos
aliengin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Yeah, I've booted the VM several times, even managed to use the preview in virtual machine library to click the right parts of the screen and reboot OS properly. Not sure if I ever completely shut it down though, I believe I only did reboots.

I can't say I regret upgrading to Catalina because I didn't have any other issues since I upgraded, but I understand most of those bugs are not necessarily on the surface which makes me feel less secure to think about. Ended up upgrading Fusion anyways.

Thanks,

Engin

0 Kudos
pnoch
Contributor
Contributor

I have been using 8.5.10 on Catalina 10.15.1 for a while with no issue, the trick is through VNC, also native OSX got pretty impressive VNC which makes the experience quite seamless.

0 Kudos
Endeavour88
Contributor
Contributor

Guys, please go to:

System Preferences --> Safety and Privacy

And check if you have any request from VMWare at the bottom, it is mostly some permission you have to give to VMWare in order to see the windows screen, I hope this spares anybody some wasted time!

Cheers

0 Kudos
ronzoid
Contributor
Contributor

cooper101
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm the solution that Ronxoid posted works for Catalina running Fusion 11.1.6

Ive just followed the guide and Fusion now appears in screen sharing.

https://posts.boy.sh/

0 Kudos