VMware Communities
MaciekP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion 10.1.6 and MacOS CATALINA?

Hi,

I still use Fusion 10.1.6 with MOJOAVe as HOST with no problems.

Anyone tested 10.1.6 under CATALINA?

30 Replies
DPKeller
Contributor
Contributor

I have 10.1.6 Fusion and just installed Catalina.

My VMs now have a blackscreen when they boot up. I can only see their screens on the preview pain. Looking for a fix. UGH!

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Prior versions do not work without hacks, and are unsupported.  Upgrade to 11.5.

0 Kudos
bolaz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

I've just installed Catalina.

Fusion Version 11.5.0 (14634996):

• Windows 10 32 bit - OK
  • Windows 10 64 bit - OK
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

As mentioned elsewhere there proper fix is Fusion 11.5.

However if you do not want / cannot go there then:

For the black screen you need to add VMware Fusion to the Security & Privacy -> "Privacy" -> "Screen Recording" screen and then it should work.

Even as far back as Fusion 8.5.. (even less recommended)

See also:

Mac Catalina and Fusion Has Black Screen

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
DPKeller
Contributor
Contributor

OK So yes I am understanding that Fusion 11.5 is supported. At the moment I am not able to move to Fusion11.5 and getting a little fed up with the support of Fusion 30days is not enough for some issues.

So the other possible fix is Security & Privacy -> "Privacy" -> "Screen Recording". Only when I go there I don't see anyway to add it. I only get the following. So how do you add it?

0 Kudos
ShinySheep
Contributor
Contributor

Myself and several of my co-workers are having the same problem. The issue is, when we go to the Security & Privacy settings, VMWare Fusion doesn't appear as an option under Screen Recording. We've tried reinstalling VMWF but no luck.

Can anyone help?

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Longer support contracts are available for an additional fee, but even in that case, it wouldn't help with your present situation (since it's not a supported config).

You should be able to drag/drop the fusion app into that pane.

0 Kudos
DPKeller
Contributor
Contributor

I hear ya on the additional fees. I did put out for the "Professional" (topshelf) because I had to keep things working on my Mac and the previous version of Fusion had such a short shelf life. Product is expensive enough. That being said I digress.

I tried the drop/drag and that did not work. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

One of the posters in the thread I linked posted the following -kinda ugly- workaround:

- uninstall VMware Fusion

- install VMware Fusion 11.1.1

- make sure you get Fusion listed in the security pane

- do _not_ start a VM you want to use on your older VMware Fusion as by default it will upgrade its virtual hardware to a newer version and you will have to downgrade it again manually. If you have to test and try a VM create a temporary one.

- you do need to start a VM to get the question about adding VMware Fusion to the screen recording pane.

- uninstall VMware Fusion 11.x as it is now listed in the screen recording security pane

- install your old VMware Fusion again. It should still be listed in the screen recording security pane.

Note that this has SEVERAL down sides:

- you're running an unsupported configuration

- depending on what VMware Fusion version you are installing it will have several security issues fixed in later versions

- your 30 days evaluation for VMware Fusion 11.5 will continue to run, so if you want to try that later on you cannot as it will expire after 30 days. (That is still the case if you try with an earlier Fusion 11.x version)

If you run like this and your motivation for not upgrading is financial then I recommend to keep an eye on the VMware Fusion twitter account ( http://twitter.com/vmwarefusion  ) as they do tend to run some discounts around this time of the year (black Friday comes to mind, but usually also around Christmas IIRC)

edit: Changed step 2 from installing version 11.5 to 11.1.1 as VMware Fusion 11.5 does not need the screen recording entitlement so will not ask for that.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
ShinySheep
Contributor
Contributor

I saw that as well. We've tried it and it didn't work for us.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Same here. I've tried using full screen, rebooting the host as well and am now testing with a VM that has vmware tools installed.

It isn't added to screen recording at all, but works within VMware Fusion 11.5 without getting added there.

For me no problem as I'm not intending to downgrade that test box, but it did sound like a possible workaround.

Guess not so much.

Note that I am accessing my text box via Screen Sharing, so not quite a normal setup as it has no keyboard and screen attached.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Unfortunately, since Fusion 10 wasn't even supported on Mojave (see VMware Knowledge Base  ) upgrading to 11.5 is your best option.

0 Kudos
DPKeller
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately I believe you maybe correct.
thank you

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

It is version 11.1.x and 11.0.x that add the screen recording entitlement.

It appears that VMware changed something to not need this requirement in VMware Fusion 11.5.

Perhaps that is now triggering the blurriness issue in 11.5? (Just a wild guess)

After installing Fusion 11.1.1 I got the question on booting a Windows based VM.

With that check in the screen recording, I was able to get even VMware Fusion 8.5.10 working.. on macOS Catalina.

Again, this is NOT recommended. AT ALL.

But if it helps.. this worked in my basic testing.

I will update my steps above.

--

Wil

hollistonma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Will,

I ran into the same black screen as others.  After much trial and error using the preview screen in Fusion, I was able to shut down the Windows guest.  Rather than continue trying to run 8.5.10 I opted to pay the upgrade price of $50 + tax and downloaded 11.5 to avoid future issues.

I appreciate knowing the root cause so thank you.

0 Kudos
aliengin
Contributor
Contributor

Can you elaborate "make sure you get Fusion listed in the security pane"? I installed VMWare Fusion 11.1.1 and allowed the app in security and privacy section, but it's still not listed in screen recording and didn't prompt any dialogs asking. I've been browsing this forum for a while now and the only solution seem to be working is upgrading, especially if you don't have much time.

I can't define my motivation for not upgrading entirely financial. I just can't help feeling I'm paying a ransom to be able to access my work.

wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Did you try to boot a Windows VM with VMware Fusion 11.1.1 ?

The request for the screen recording entitlement isn't made before you do.

Re. ransom. I understand you feel that way, but in the end it is apple who changed the rules. If you don't update to Catalina then everything keeps working without a problem.

Catalina introduces a lot of changes in the security model and quite frankly it also has a lot of bugs. The only machines I installed Catalina on are test machines.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

If you're on Catalina, definitely upgrade to 11.5.  That should re-trigger the warning, and get you (for free) up to a supported version.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

FWIW VMware Fusion 11.5 does not need screen recording, so won't trigger the warning.

Also I think he/she only installed a trial of version 11 as an attempt to get an older version of Fusion working again after upgrading to Catalina.

In that case you can install 11.5 if you want, but it still won't be a free upgrade.

It is only free if you have a valid version of 11.0 or 11.1

--

Wil

0 Kudos