VMware Communities
jrschoenberger
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 10.0.1 & Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

I installed the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update on a VM running under Fusion 10.0.1 and High Sierra 10.13 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) with Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB. Since then I've experienced two problems:

1) When attempting to save files from MS Word 2016 for Windows to folder shared between the Windows VM and the Mac (such as the Mac desktop), I get the following error message: "There has been a network or file permission error. The network connection may be lost." I've attached a screenshot. This error is new since the Fall Creators Update. The file appears to save despite the error message. I have no problem copying files natively between Mac and Windows from the Windows File Explorer.

2) The second issue I'm having since the Fall Creators Update is that switching between windowed and full screen mode causes terribly unusable graphic distortion of the Windows' display upon returning from full screen to windowed mode. Graphics work fine in full screen mode. If I start the VM in windowed mode and keep it there, the graphics are fine. But, any change between the two leaves windowed mode FUBAR until I restart the guest operating system.

I have tried reinstalling VMware tools in the hope that it would solve both problems. It did not fix either.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

133 Replies
cormandy
Contributor
Contributor

Dec 31st 2017...  You'd think I'd have something better to do rather than update this thread.

I have upgraded to VMWare Fusion v10.1.0, updated the VMWare Tools to the following:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools>VMwareToolboxCmd.exe -v

10.2.0.7047 (build-7259539)

I then tested saving both an Excel 2016 spreadsheet and a Visio 2016 diagram to a drive shared from Mac OS X to the Windows 10 VM via VMWare Fusion and both flies saved successfully, so looks like VMWare finally sorted this issue.   Took a bit of time though...

VirtualAwarenes
Contributor
Contributor

Important to remember: VMware recently developed the capability to roll fixes into Tools updates independent of the Fusion version.  For example, this fix only requires the Tools update. It works in both 8.x and 10.x Fusion versions

KDH2
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same issues but with large files (10Mb+), vmware tools 10.2 is not resolving either.  Difference is I have Fusion 10.1.1.

I will raise as a new call as I think this is a different problem.

saragreen
Contributor
Contributor

Hey. I've managed to get Tools 10.2 installed on Fusion 8.5 a couple of times, however I've also had a lot of installations crash Windows, and then the whole VM seems to have issues after Windows restarts. I opened a ticket, but VMWare wasn't too helpful. They wanted to remove tools completely, but after the installation fail, there were "permissions" errors popping up on anything I tried to do, even though I was logged in as an Admin.

I've had to resort to reinstalling a new VM image several times.

Super frustrated.

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I'm not sure that's a supported configuration, or that Fusion 8 supports the fall update.  Do you have those problems with Fusion 10?

0 Kudos
luzmagdl
Contributor
Contributor

Do you know how can I do this (to install Tools updates independent of the Fusion version)? Or where can I read more about it?

0 Kudos
codextranslatio
Contributor
Contributor

I posted instructions on how to fix the file-saving issue in this thread: Instructions for fixing file-saving issue to a shared folder after Fall 2017 Update for Windows (Fus...

0 Kudos
dan2254
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading to 8.5 and reinstalling VM Tools (from the menu) didn't work for me.

Manually installing VMware Tools 10.2 on the client from this link did work https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=VMTOOLS1020&productId=614

ssc127
Contributor
Contributor

I only just two weeks ago encountered this. Windows rammed an update down my throat. I kept telling it that I didn't want it, and canceled every time it came up, but WHILE I WAS SLEEPING it decided to install the update and reboot my virtual machine. After which I cannot save a file to my shared folders in this one VM. 

I was not able to remove the windows 10 creator update, and I'm not sure that's the source of my problem.  I think Microsoft figured out how to weave the broken code in to their latest update as well.  I didn't get the option to "go back to a previous version of Windows 10" (see attachment).

Is this issue addressable by vmware? I told vmware to check for updates, and they came back with "pay for version 10".

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi ssc127,

Assuming you are on Fusion 8 (which is End Of Life by now) then the answer is the reply just above yours.

Install VMware Tools 10.2 manually.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ssc127
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks wila

That worked well. I would add that there are several versions of vmware tools. You want the version of your GUEST operating system (in my case I run Windows on my Mac, so I needed vmware tools for Windows).

Also, for some reason it took me two attempts to get this done. After I uninstalled my old version and installed the new 10.2 version, I still had the problem. I checked the version using the instructions here: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1003947. I found that I still had version 10.1.6 installed. So, I uninstalled again, disconnected the CD, re-selected the windows.iso image that I downloaded, reconnected the CD, and installed again. The second time I got version 10.2 installed, and I'm able to save to a network location on my host OS using Microsoft Office again.  I only include this note for anyone who attempts to update but it doesn't fix your problem. Make sure you check the installed version of vmware tools, because it's possible that you screwed up the reinstall.

0 Kudos
Rustyfire
Contributor
Contributor

After reading this whole thread even today (July 2019),  have the exact same problems with not being able to save Office docs or spreadsheets to the shared network drive within windows. Same issues, same versions of windows (10) and fusion (8), yet it only started yesterday.  Have tried ALL the things suggested here and re-installed VMWare tools as well.  It seems VMWare is not able to get this corrected and frankly since Fusion 5 I have had nothing but but problems.  I am about done reinstalling MAC, Fusion and Windows versions trying to make things work.  It is also impossible to create a customer support ticket because Fusion 8 is not supported any longer.  I'll be dammed buying yet another version of Fusion (10) if it [apparently] does not work either.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Fusion 11 you mean.

You can download and install a 30 day trial to see if it works there.

Download VMware Fusion | VMware

FWIW I have no issues with Office on Fusion 11 and shared drives.

edit : Oh forgot to mention it, but I do suggest you to make a backup of your VM before booting it up in Fusion 11.

Yes you can downgrade after Fusion 11 back to Fusion 8, but it is always good to have an extra safety net.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
rabirana
Contributor
Contributor

i am facing the issue in fusion windows 10 desktop ms office file  not save error document not save please how to resolve i have mac book air i using via fusion 10 & install the Windows 10 64 bit after os Update getting this issue please help me what is the salutation for this issue 

0 Kudos