VMware Communities
jrschoenberger
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 10.0.1 & Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

I installed the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update on a VM running under Fusion 10.0.1 and High Sierra 10.13 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) with Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB. Since then I've experienced two problems:

1) When attempting to save files from MS Word 2016 for Windows to folder shared between the Windows VM and the Mac (such as the Mac desktop), I get the following error message: "There has been a network or file permission error. The network connection may be lost." I've attached a screenshot. This error is new since the Fall Creators Update. The file appears to save despite the error message. I have no problem copying files natively between Mac and Windows from the Windows File Explorer.

2) The second issue I'm having since the Fall Creators Update is that switching between windowed and full screen mode causes terribly unusable graphic distortion of the Windows' display upon returning from full screen to windowed mode. Graphics work fine in full screen mode. If I start the VM in windowed mode and keep it there, the graphics are fine. But, any change between the two leaves windowed mode FUBAR until I restart the guest operating system.

I have tried reinstalling VMware tools in the hope that it would solve both problems. It did not fix either.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

133 Replies
Arcadius1
Contributor
Contributor

Please add my name to the list of folks having the same problems and looking for a prompt resolution. Frankly, this is a critical defect on MacOS and so simple to replicate that I'm surprised it got through whatever QA happens before release and took so long to remediate.

0 Kudos
markkap
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue - this is a huge impact to getting work done.  Hoping a hotfix is available asap.

0 Kudos
tnor10
Contributor
Contributor

Why hasn't VMware sent all registered users a communication.  We have all been having to Guess at what is wrong for over a month. My company has had to go through some many iteration of trouble shooting of other enterprise solutions just to determine this is a VMware fusion issue...Not Good...

0 Kudos
KellyF
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue with a brand new install of Mac OS 10.13.1, Fusion 10.0.1 and the Windows 10 Creators Update as my VM.  I spent two days trying different settings and I was just about to reinstall everything from scratch when I found this post.  (Thank you!)  I have other versions of Windows and Fusion available, if they might work.

Has anyone tried it with a previous version of Windows 10?  (I.e. 1703 instead of 1709?)

Also, has anyone tried it with Fusion 8 Pro?

Steve Goodard:  Any update on when the fix will be available?

0 Kudos
alphasupremicus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was on Fusion Pro 8 and had this issue - hence I bought the upgrade to 10 Pro thinking it was some sort of incompatibility with High Sierra and Pro 8, but no..... I didn't see this post before I sunk $100 into the Pro 10 upgrade, all to no avail. Guess I need to review the forums in the future before I do the upgrade thang.

0 Kudos
openmic62
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like I too wasted $100, thinking that an upgrade from v8 to v10 was the problem. To add insult to the injury, I see there's been a fix for this available for 23 days. It's pretty pathetic that VMWare can't release the fix in that amount of time. So, we all go on waiting an wasting valuable resources trouble shooting a problem VMWare knows about and won't even send out a notice about.

0 Kudos
ronfar
Contributor
Contributor

The previous version of Windows (1703) worked fine both with 8 and 10. It's only when Microsoft pushed 1709 that it started to fail.

0 Kudos
KellyF
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.  I may give that a try if the "fix" drags on much longer.

0 Kudos
schveiguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To those trying various things (including purchasing new versions of things), this issue happened because Microsoft changed their filesystem API, and VMWare's drivers did not handle it. It's an issue in ALL versions of VMWare that have a Microsoft Windows 10 guest that has been updated to the Fall Creators Update.

No amount of updating will work UNTIL VMWare releases a new version of the tools. I'm as annoyed as all of you, but my understanding is that VMWare has a fix, and is putting it through the gauntlet of tests so they don't cause more problems than they solve. I understand that, as a software engineer. Hopefully you can have some patience, I would imagine this is a big issue for many of their customers, and they are working as hard as they can to make sure everything works as expected.

markkap
Contributor
Contributor

it would be great if they provided some customer information as to what is going on and any sense of ETA - the lack of information is what we are all frustrated with

alphasupremicus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree. These vendors - they don't do themselves a service by NOT communicating. That'd go a long way to setting appropriate expectations. Maybe we won't like the answer, but lack of communications makes you think they are not listening nor care to fix this.

markkap
Contributor
Contributor

you know that VMware as a key microsoft partner had access to beta builds of this windows release - they should have caught this and warmed all of us customers not to apply the windows upgrade given that VMware breaks - horrible customer service!

ronfar
Contributor
Contributor

I totally agree with you. Both Microsoft and VMWare are to be blamed for this major problem all of us are having. Also, VMWare's non-reaction is awful. It seems we're dealing with people who do not care - at all. That being said, I've been active in the ICT sector for 50 years now and things are just getting worse in terms of customer service.

schveiguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

it would be great if they provided some customer information as to what is going on and any sense of ETA

It is listed earlier by a vmware employee. They have a fix, and are testing it now ("very very close"), along with working with Microsoft to sign the drivers. I'm pretty satisfied with the transparency, what more do you want? An exact date/time is not possible or within their control.

If you know anything about software development, you will realize that releasing before testing is not ever a good idea (see recent "root" issues with macos high sierra that were rushed out and still had problems). I'd rather they test and make sure everything works than push out a release with more problems, and have to start the whole cycle over again.

markkap
Contributor
Contributor

first off - I know a ton about software development having even worked for Microsoft for 7 yrs - so my point isn't about the testing process fo the fix - it is the lack of communication about the status/timing of the fix.  VMware has basically gone dark other than saying "it's close" - does that means days away close or weeks/months close?  and my other point was that since VMware is a core partner with MSFT, why was this not caught before the windows update release and why was there no communication about it in advance for us customers.

0 Kudos
PeterSinclair
Contributor
Contributor

As do many others, I am also experiencing this problem, although with Fusion 8.5.9 on High Sierra 10.13.1 on MacBook Pro  and 64 bit Windows 10 with the un-asked for Fall Creators Update (it's Spring down here in Australia - but that doesn't help).

I have Office 2016 64-bit and same symptoms with Word and Excel; access to Mac share is fine with other programs.

I tried the uninstall / reinstall of VMware Tools as suggested by VMware - no difference.

I was hoping Fusion 10 would solve the problem 😞

Oh well, back to my Windows 7 VM, which I keep for just such an occasion ...

0 Kudos
VirtualAwarenes
Contributor
Contributor

Just got off the phone with VMware Tech Support and they walked me through the workaround to map folders to a network drive.  This worked for me.  I would open a case, have the tech walk you through the workaround then ask to talk to a supervisor so you can express your displeasure.  This isn't the first time there have been major file system issues with VMware after a Microsoft upgrade.  You all may remember the registry issue that made it look like all your files disappeared?  This heart attack inducing behavior happened to me not once but twice after Microsoft upgrades.  VMware likes to point the finger at Microsoft in these cases, but this current issue is just ridiculous.  It's a Sev 1 and they are treating it like a Sev 3.

And the icing on the cake: VMware has no plans to fix this particular issue in 8.x.  The final fix will be in 10.0.2.  I was not given a release date, but there will be an email/notification sent.  Having fun yet?

0 Kudos
driesvj
Contributor
Contributor

My Windows 10 updated yesterday and now I have the same issue. any news on the fix please?

0 Kudos
cormandy
Contributor
Contributor

If it is any comfort I am having the same problem.  Also affects Microsoft Visio 2016.   I'm on a Macbook Pro MacOS High Sierra 10.13.1, VMWare Fusion 10.0.1, Windows 10.   I am trying to save to a SHARED drive; that is, a MacOS X file system which has been shared into Windows 10 via VMWare.   This problem started AFTER upgrading to Fusion 10.0.1 from the previous release.

This has caused me to lose a massive amount of work as I thought changes I was making to documents were being saved when in fact they were not!   

Had been working on Visio diagrams, saving regularly only to close Visio and discover a zero byte file!   The amount of hours lost and the rage.... 

I upgraded to Fusion 10 as the previous version was causing my 2016 MacBook Pro with touchbar to HANG!    Thanks for fixing the hanging VMWare, but this problem is almost as bad.  Fix now please!

jmeyer
Contributor
Contributor

Creators edition of Windows 10 has been out for a while. What is taking so long for the fix?

0 Kudos