VMware Communities
jrschoenberger
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 10.0.1 & Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

I installed the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update on a VM running under Fusion 10.0.1 and High Sierra 10.13 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) with Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB. Since then I've experienced two problems:

1) When attempting to save files from MS Word 2016 for Windows to folder shared between the Windows VM and the Mac (such as the Mac desktop), I get the following error message: "There has been a network or file permission error. The network connection may be lost." I've attached a screenshot. This error is new since the Fall Creators Update. The file appears to save despite the error message. I have no problem copying files natively between Mac and Windows from the Windows File Explorer.

2) The second issue I'm having since the Fall Creators Update is that switching between windowed and full screen mode causes terribly unusable graphic distortion of the Windows' display upon returning from full screen to windowed mode. Graphics work fine in full screen mode. If I start the VM in windowed mode and keep it there, the graphics are fine. But, any change between the two leaves windowed mode FUBAR until I restart the guest operating system.

I have tried reinstalling VMware tools in the hope that it would solve both problems. It did not fix either.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

133 Replies
EpicT
Contributor
Contributor

Just installed VMWare Tools 10.2.0 which fixed the issue with files not saving, but created another problem when printing.  When printing from windows 10, the page prints but the image not correct. Anybody experience this ? Any fix ?  I have tried removing and re installing Tools to the 'complete install' instead of only 'typical' but it didn't help. 

EpicT
Contributor
Contributor

...only way to fix my print problem was to uninstall vmware tools 10.2.0 and replace the previous version. (printer is brother MFC 9335 CDW)

HackerKitty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I confirm I also have a printer problem with this new wmware tools.

Wifi connected network printer (Brother MFC-J870DW) shows in Windows Control Panel,

but the printer does not respond to test page printing.

LAN connected printserver (HP P1005) does not show in Windows Control Panel and impossible to add as a new printer.

All port selections are grayed out in Control Pnel for MFC-J870DW.

I suspect some sort of port problem here but have no idea how to fix it.

0 Kudos
tnor10
Contributor
Contributor

I too have the same issue you described regarding multiple monitors and mouse issues.  I was having this issue even prior to the new Tools fix.  But only since the MS Creators Update.  Another major bug in Fusion 10.

0 Kudos
HackerKitty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I also installed this new version of VMware tools in Linux VM in Fusion.

The same printer problem happened.

I found the work wround is to disable the printer sharing and setup the printers independantly in Linux VM using its network connection.

I tried the same in Windows 10, but this strategy did not work.

So my current choice is either print the document (with previous VMware tools) or save the document (with new VMware tools).

But I cannot do both at the same time.

It is getting ridiculous, considering Fusion is a commetial software with a decent price tag.

Maybe I should have a second look at VirtualBox....

0 Kudos
nes888
Contributor
Contributor

The latest vmware tool version has fixed my file saving issue.  I can confirm that I don't have any issue with printing from my VM directly to a networked Lexmark printer.  But I'm running VMware fusion 8.5.9, so perhaps this issue is specific to Fusion 10.x. 

0 Kudos
tnor10
Contributor
Contributor

I just got an email from support on the Tools Fix.   Guess they are the last one's to know.

At the bottom of your support cases you will see this sentence.

Your satisfaction is important to us, Click Here to provide feedback to our Executive team.  The email goes to; VMware Leadership - Scott Bajtos

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

There *is* a High Sierra Fusion 8 comparability issue, so your money's not wasted.  Have you updated the new tools (manual download at the moment)?

0 Kudos
HackerKitty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am one of those who purchased the Fusion upgrade in hope of fixing this major bug in Fusion/Win10 (1709).

Since I am running Sierra and have no plan to upgrade to High-Sierra, this upgrade was not necessary.

As I wrote in my previous post, printers are not working in Windows 10 (1709) as well as Linux (Mint XFCE 18.3)

on the Fusion 10 after I installed this latest vmware tools (10.2).

There is no way knowing what is going on in Wndows, but I got the follwoing error message in Linux printer setting.

"/System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/sRGB Profile.icc" is not available : No such file or directory

Yet, this file does exist in the right folder.

It seems tpvmgp printer driver cannnot connect this prfile which locates in the system drive.

VirtualAwarenes
Contributor
Contributor

Hey folks, mind if we close this thread out?  This was mainly for the "Network or file permission error..." issue.  Seems better to start another thread on printer or mouse issues, etc.

0 Kudos
HackerKitty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think it is a good idea.

I will start the new discussion with an appropriate title.

0 Kudos
HackerKitty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just created a new thread with a title:

VMware tools (10.2.0) in Fusion (10.0.1), printer is not working

VMware tools (10.2.0) in Fusion (10.0.1), printer is not working

Those of you having a problem with mouse should do the same.

brandtsak
Contributor
Contributor

I've been having same issue.  I tried this but no luck.

0 Kudos
brandtsak
Contributor
Contributor

This did not work for me.

0 Kudos
chadhaney
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise N (64-bit) on VMware Fusion Professional Version 8.5.9 (7098239)

I installed VMware Tool for Windows Version 10.2.0, build-7253323 and it has not solved the problem with Office apps being able to save files.

Is there something else I should check?

HeiderSati
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Chadhaney, and to all people experiencing the same issues:

I don't have this problem, and also simulated the issue you are experiencing by rolling into a back and then updating.

To resolve this problem,

1) Please manually login to the VMWARE online site (using the link I provided earlier when the tools were released), download the tools and run that way,

2) Important: Restart your VM once you have completed the installation.

If the above does not work then please remove the VM tools and re-install manually with the download

This should solve the problem.

If the above does not work, then please re-test by saving into your local drive, check if you experience the same issue with a local disk save, if so, then check your permissions of both the drive and also your TEMP directories under both windows (i.e. C:\Windows\TEMP and also C:\Users\(Your User Name...)\AppData\local\Temp).

Finally; one thing I have not tested, is the VM Tools running on a 32 bit OS, I only ran and tested on a 64 bit platform.

Check your windows event viewer logs if you are still having problems, post your log-entry here if you see anything wrong regarding this issue.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Heider Sati

0 Kudos
Zongmin
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi jrschoenberger and guys who have the issue, ie,  error when saving files with Microsoft office to Windows to folder shared between the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update VM and the Mac,

Fusion 10.1.0 was just released which should have addressed this issue.

Refer to : VMware Fusion 10.1.0 Release Notes

0 Kudos
jianbomao
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Zongmin,

Is there a new release for Fusion 8.5.9 as well to fix the issue?

I have the same issue between Fusion 8.5.9 and Windows 10.

Thanks,

Jianbo

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Jianbo,

There's no update yet for Fusion 8.5.9, but you can just install the VMware Tools 10.2 update by downloading and installing it manually.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
jianbomao
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Wila,

I have downloaded the VMware Tools 10.2 from https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=VMTOOLS1020&productId=614 and manually installed onto my Fusion 8.5.9 running with Windows 10 client following manual installation steps: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1003417?r=2&KM_Utility.getArticleLanguage=1&KM_Utility.getArticle=1&...

This has resolved the issue and I am able to save the changes directly to VMware share folders from Word, Outlook and Excel.

Thanks,

Jianbo