VMware Communities
jrschoenberger
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 10.0.1 & Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

I installed the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update on a VM running under Fusion 10.0.1 and High Sierra 10.13 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) with Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB. Since then I've experienced two problems:

1) When attempting to save files from MS Word 2016 for Windows to folder shared between the Windows VM and the Mac (such as the Mac desktop), I get the following error message: "There has been a network or file permission error. The network connection may be lost." I've attached a screenshot. This error is new since the Fall Creators Update. The file appears to save despite the error message. I have no problem copying files natively between Mac and Windows from the Windows File Explorer.

2) The second issue I'm having since the Fall Creators Update is that switching between windowed and full screen mode causes terribly unusable graphic distortion of the Windows' display upon returning from full screen to windowed mode. Graphics work fine in full screen mode. If I start the VM in windowed mode and keep it there, the graphics are fine. But, any change between the two leaves windowed mode FUBAR until I restart the guest operating system.

I have tried reinstalling VMware tools in the hope that it would solve both problems. It did not fix either.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

133 Replies
HackerKitty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I also purchased version 10 upgrade like you, but of course that did not solve this problem.

Following the suggestion by other forum members, I opened the ticket with VMware.

But the only thing I was offered was a work-around solution using SAMBA, which I cannot be bothered at the moment.

Fortunately, I had 3 days old VM backup in tar.gz previous to this ill-fated 1709 update.

I went back to the older 1703 VM and locked down the version using the group pliciy editor, changed the upgrade channel to CB to CBB,

and finally set a time to delay upgrade to the mamimum 365 days.

There are 2 major alternative softwares to Fusin.

If you run your VMs in Mac only, you can use Parallels - a commertial software more or less the same price as Fusion.

If you need crosss-platform VMs, then Virtualbox is the only solution as far as I know.

Virtualbox is an open source free software.

But you have to be prepared to accept lesser level of user experience in Virtualbox.

At least, that was my impression when I tried it about a year ago.

0 Kudos
neilt17
Contributor
Contributor

I reverted the update to Windows version 1703 (Creators' update is version 1709) - this is easy to do (and you don't need to have a restore point or older snapshot to do this): http://www.thewindowsclub.com/rollback-uninstall-windows-10-creators-update

And then try to stop Windows automatically re-downloading the update - How to block Windows 10 Fall Creators Update from installing | Computerworld .

0 Kudos
HackerKitty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

>> (Creators' update is version 1709)

Thanks for pointing out this. I fixed my original posting to reflect this correction.

0 Kudos
HeiderSati
Contributor
Contributor

neilt17... I Solute you Smiley Happy

Many thanks, fixed my misery for now

Best Regards

Heider

0 Kudos
HeiderSati
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All

For everyone else that could not revert back the evil windows update:

I had a call just now from VMWare Support, the timeframe they are committing to release the VMWare Tools Update is less than 7 days.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Regards

Heider

0 Kudos
HeiderSati
Contributor
Contributor

On the phone with VM Support now

Tools released now.

Please shutdown and restart your VM.

Good luck

Regards

Heider

brett_x
Contributor
Contributor

I think I'll let you all try it first Smiley Wink . Seems rushed :smileylaugh:.

0 Kudos
jontucker
Contributor
Contributor

Installing VMWare Tools 10.2.0 released yesterday has resolved the issue for me.

jmeyer
Contributor
Contributor

Worked for me as well.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Glad to hear, the fix for this is indeed available in Tools itself and it can be installed separately from Fusion, and doesn't require Fusion to update to take advantage of it's capabilities.

Just so folks understand, Tools is developed independently of Fusion (because vSphere, Horizon/View, etc). Validation and signing of the drivers also takes time after the code itself has been built. Literally millions of tests run in sequence without fail so we can achieve the certified status.

The nice thing is that we moved a while back to a model where newer versions of Tools can be used with existing versions of our product, while still adding support for the new features from Tools at the platform/virtual hardware layer before Tools itself (virtual hardware drivers) gets released.

This fix also resolves a number of other issues that we discovered with 1709, so we're eager to hear feedback on any outstanding issues users are experiencing with the new Tools. (in a new thread please, it gets really hard to track in a single giant thread)

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=VMTOOLS1020&productId=614

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
jbhall56
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Got the new version VMware Tools 10.2.0-7253323 installed and it has fixed the problem with Windows 10. Took long enough, but worth the wait now that it's fixed.

Jeff Hall Minneapolis, MN, USA
HeiderSati
Contributor
Contributor

I confirm all working for me too

0 Kudos
tnor10
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for posting HeiderSati.  Most appreciated.   Amazes me that all of us that have open cases on this topic weren't sent a notification. Cheers

VirtualAwarenes
Contributor
Contributor

Michael,

Some quick feedback.

1. Folks were flailing away on this thread for quite sometime without active participation by VMware, albeit by Steve Goddard early on.

2. There was some misinformation about having to upgrade to the latest version of Fusion given to me by Tech Support that I communicated here.

3. There was no clear workaround documented here. Instead, you had members providing workarounds given to them by VMware Tech Support.  Seems a little backwards.  I and others called Tech Support and they gave us different steps that worked, but I expect it would have reduced your call volume if a clear workaround was shared.

4. This was a pretty serious bug, but there was no timeline to resolution communicated. Granted it takes time to root cause, test and release patches, but I think this fix should have been given a higher priority

5. Finally, some positive feedback.  The ability to update Tools to a new version independent of the Fusion version is great.

Cheers

Jesse

gevli
Contributor
Contributor

Installed this new version of Tools (using the VMWare Tools for Windows, 64-bit in-guest installer) on my Windows 10 (1709) virtual Machine which runs on Windows 10 (1709) using VMWare Player 14. It solved the save-from-Word issue so this made me happy. Thanks.

0 Kudos
grahamborthwick
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone managed to upgrade to VMTools 10.2.0 on Fusion 8.5? The release notes at VMware Tools 10.2.0 Release Notes say that it's compatible with VMWare Fusion 10.0 so I assume it is not compatible with earlier versions (despite what was implied further up this thread). I've not upgraded to High Sierra yet so I am still running Fusion 8.5 and VMTools 10.2.0 doesn't show up for me. If VMWare aren't going to fix this bug on 8.5, I will definitely have to upgrade or find an alternative...

Scott9191
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I am using 8.5, and I was able to install the new tools as an ISO and it solved the issue. 

0 Kudos
schveiguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here's how to install if you have 8.5.x:

Follow the link Michael gave: https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=VMTOOLS1020&productId=614

From there, you will have to login to your myvmware account.

The option I used was "VMware Tools for Windows, 64-bit in-guest installer"

After the file is downloaded, open it from your VM guest OS. Follow install instructions. I think the exe is zipped, so you will have to extract it.

After the install, you have to do the reboot logout dance, and then you can now save from Office apps again! Worked great for me.

xPat201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone else run into this problem?

I installed the new VMware Tools update on my VM, and indeed that solved the problem with MS Office apps not being able to save to shared folders. So far so good.

But doing that appears to have caused a larger problem - my mouse cursor keeps repositioning (whenever I click on anything) back to the top left corner of my VM's desktop. I am running the VM across 3 monitors, if that matters. The symptom is each time I click on something in the VM, it does in fact work (meaning the button being clicked does the click action correctly), but the act of clicking also moves my mouse cursor inexplicably to the top left corner of the leftmost monitor the VM is running on.

This started when I installed the VMware Tools update. Anyone else have this problem? Or any ideas on how to solve?

Thanks,

Erik

0 Kudos