VMware Communities
jrschoenberger
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 10.0.1 & Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

I installed the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update on a VM running under Fusion 10.0.1 and High Sierra 10.13 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) with Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB. Since then I've experienced two problems:

1) When attempting to save files from MS Word 2016 for Windows to folder shared between the Windows VM and the Mac (such as the Mac desktop), I get the following error message: "There has been a network or file permission error. The network connection may be lost." I've attached a screenshot. This error is new since the Fall Creators Update. The file appears to save despite the error message. I have no problem copying files natively between Mac and Windows from the Windows File Explorer.

2) The second issue I'm having since the Fall Creators Update is that switching between windowed and full screen mode causes terribly unusable graphic distortion of the Windows' display upon returning from full screen to windowed mode. Graphics work fine in full screen mode. If I start the VM in windowed mode and keep it there, the graphics are fine. But, any change between the two leaves windowed mode FUBAR until I restart the guest operating system.

I have tried reinstalling VMware tools in the hope that it would solve both problems. It did not fix either.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

133 Replies
jrschoenberger
Contributor
Contributor

I am able to replicate both problems on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) with Intel Iris 1536 MB connected to a Thunderbolt display.

0 Kudos
trondjun
Contributor
Contributor

I have almost the same setup, except i have an 15" macbook pro from 2015.

In my case I get an error code 10 on the network card saying: "Cannot start up the device".

The result is no network on the windows machine.

There seems to be som lack of support between high sierra and creators fall update with VMWare fusion 10.

0 Kudos
TGK7
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here after Windows update and a move to Fusion 10. As above, uninstall of tools and a reinstall of tools did not help.

It only seems to be a problem with the MS Office suite of programs, other programs appear to save fine.

I look forward to a solution being posted!

0 Kudos
Revcorrupt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Fusion version: 8.5.8 (5824040)

VMware Tools: 10.1.6, build-5214329

Mac OS: version 10.12.6 (16G29)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina Mid 2014

Fully patched Microsoft Office 2016 Word, Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio, Etc.. (All have this symptom)

I am having the office errors as well. I have been fighting for 2 days trying to figure out a way around it. At first I started down the Office Trusted Sites path... Now I am not sure where to go with troubleshooting it.

In my case, A zero-byte file is created on the shared folder with the requested save-name.

Saving to another windows computer on my general network works fine. Saving to local drives (C:\ drive) works fine. Copying files outside of Microsoft Office works fine. Creating files with other programs (Notepad, Wordpad, MSPaint, etc...) works fine.

Attached is a screen shot of the error and a corresponding Event-viewer event. (Office-Scrshot.png ; eventvwr-Office Write Error.txt)

Additional errors I found are also attached (eventvwr-addtional.txt). ** I am not 100% confident that these errors are related.

I have found a VMware error in EventViewer -> Applications and Services Log -> Microsoft -> Windows -> StorDiag -> Microsoft-Windows-Storage-ClassPnP/Operational.
These errors list a Device GUID giving a "Completing a failed IOCTL request."

An additional Informational item was found under EventViewer -> Applications and Services Log -> Microsoft -> Windows -> StorPort -> Microsoft-Windows-Storage-Storport/Operational

These reference ongoing errors to a class disk device with zeros as a GUID.

Additional information can be provided upon request. I have 2 windows 10 VM's having these exact errors.

Revcorrupt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In continuation with my trobuleshooting I have upgraded to VMware Fusion 10.0.1
I have also updated the Windows VM Hardware Version to 14

I installed the new VMware Tools version 10.1.15, build-6627299

I have uninstalled TrendMicro Antivirus
I have uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled the VMware tools package.

All of the same previously documented problems still occur.

(Event Viewer, Microsoft Office Alerts)...

Microsoft Word

There has been a network or file permission error. The network connection may be lost.

(Z:\...\This is a test of Share Saves....)

P1: 200932

P2: 16.0.4600.1002

P3: aaw8dP4:

*** I have opened a support case with VMware. Currently waiting on a response from a technician.

Revcorrupt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just got a call from Support on the case I opened earlier today. This issue has been replicated in the support lab and they are currently working on a fix. Hopefully it will be soon.

cdale12
Contributor
Contributor

I've got the same problem saving Microsoft Office files.  As others, all other file types work correctly.  I hope they have a fix soon.

0 Kudos
Hotzenplotz2
Contributor
Contributor

Same situation here (OS X El Capitan, 10.11.6). My workaround: Saving of MS office files to "local" drive works fine. Then manually copy the file to the desired shared folder location on the host works as well. So this obviously is a problem related to MS office in combination with the fall creators update of Windows 10 and Fusion 10.0.1. @VMWare: Please fix that. It´s annoying.

0 Kudos
wbthompson
Contributor
Contributor

The inability of Word applications to save a file to a shared folder after the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update also occurs with Workstation 12.5.5 and Workstation 14.0.0, both hosted on openSUSE Linux, so this is not just a Fusion problem.

0 Kudos
wbthompson
Contributor
Contributor

At the suggestion of VMware technical support, I set up folder sharing using a Samba server on my Linux host.  Files can again be saved to shared folders on the host from MS Office applications running on a Windows 10 guest!  I don't know if this is a viable workaround for Macs.

0 Kudos
schveiguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have fusion 8.5.8, and the same problem.

I will note that the Excel error I get is "Document not saved", which is different from the Word error. Likewise, it creates a 0 byte file on the share, but does not save the data. Copying via explorer works fine.

Regarding using a samba server on the Mac, that's a possibility, but not as easy to set up as it is in Linux. I currently use Fusion's capability to simply share all my main folders (Documents, downloads, etc) with Windows 10, so using a Samba share, and making it secure is likely more pain than it is worth. Hoping for an update from VMware or Microsoft! Thanks.

0 Kudos
tnor10
Contributor
Contributor

This is what I received from Support but it doesn't resolve the issue;  So hopefully the known issue will be fix with an immediate update from VMwareFUSION.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thank you for your Support Request.

With regards to the issue, I understand you have tried the knowledge base article however, I recommend you to please follow the steps provided below.

- Launch Windows.

- Go to virtual machine menu from the top menu bar >Settings >Sharing >Uncheck all the boxes from the mirroring section and also remove all the mapped shares from the above section using the minus sign.

- Disable sharing

- Acknowledge any confirmations on Windows.

- Uninstall VMware tools. Go go control Panel >Features and Program >Uninstall VMware tools.

- Restart the Windows.

- Reinstall VMware tools.

- Enable Sharing and the mirroring option if required.

Please let us know if this helps you in resolving the issue, or let us know if you have any questions. I'll touch base with you in two business days if I haven't heard from you by then.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

0 Kudos
juanf9104
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here after Windows update and a move to Fusion 10. As above, uninstall of tools and a reinstall of tools did not help.

It only seems to be a problem with the MS Office suite of programs  ( I tried  Office 2016 and 2013 (32 bits and 64 bits) , other programs appear to save fine.

Macbook pro retina 2015,  high sierra, Fusion 10.0.1  and Windows 10 Fall Creators.

0 Kudos
davmo68
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare support provided a supposed "workaround". It did not work for me, but figured someone else could try.

- Change the Virtual Machine network mode from NAT to Bridged Autodetect

- From Apple > System Preferences > Sharing, enable file sharing of folder/s that you were sharing from VMware Shared Folders

- From the Virtual Machine, map the folder/s within the Windows

- Check with the issue

0 Kudos
tnor10
Contributor
Contributor

I tried this support suggestion and it didn't resolve the issue. 

0 Kudos
Revcorrupt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I went over this on the support case, and it does not resolve the problem.

I have recently upgraded to Mac High Sierra 10.13.1, which also did not resolve the problem.

Still waiting on engineering to give some type of direction to this issue.

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello there,

I am the engineer responsible for the Shared Folders feature.

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone on this thread. Thanks to everyone for reporting this we should have done a better job of catching this

issue earlier.

I have tracked down the cause of this issue and have fixed it and it is going through regression testing and preparing for public release.

Once that step has been completed it will be in the next release of VMware Tools that will be made public very soon.

(I am not allowed to say when exactly that will be.)

This issue arose as Microsoft have changed the file system interface with regard to file rename operations.

This is to handle their new additional Linux support.

The new rename operation that was added and used by the Office applications like Word and Excel was not handled when using Shared Folders.

The Shared Folders file system client has been modified to handle this new rename operation which allows the Office applications to save files

successfully to the VMware Shared Folders.

As a temporary workaround, Word, for example, will bring up the "Save As" dialog box. If you select a local drive and save the modified to that new location

you will not lose your modifications to the file data. You will have to then copy the file from that temporary location to the original location on the VMware Shared Folder

drive to update the original file and this can be done using applications such as File Explorer or xcopy.

I hope this helps and you should have a fixed version of tools soon.

Steve

Thanks. Steve
tnor10
Contributor
Contributor

great thanks Steve. Most appreciated as it has been causing my company a lot of challenges, IT resources, Support calls, etc. Look forward to the update. 

0 Kudos
schveiguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Steve,

Can you confirm this will be available to VMware Fusion 8 users?

0 Kudos