VMware Communities
Don_Critchley
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 1.1 on OS X 10.5.1 to run MS XP Can't setup a USB connected printer

When running the virtual frame for XP, I can see the USB connectors (bottom right) and I can "connect and/or disconnect" my HP 2840 printer. However, when I try to add that printer for actual use, XP does not see it. I have done both of:

1) Install the s/w and driver for the printer using the HP provided media and it stalls out when it wants to find the pinter on the USB connection.

2) Native "Add printer/Fax" function. It also cannot see the printer.

Consequently, for now, I can only print to a File, transfer that file to a MAC shared folder and then print it in native OS X.

Anyone experienced a similar issue with printers and ideas for resolution?

Thanks

DC

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MandarMS
Expert
Expert

Share the OS X shared printer resource with the Windows VM then install and properly share the printer in OS X and then use Bonjour for Windows from Apple to setup the printer in the Windows VM. However first delete all occurrences of the HP 2840 that exist in Windows under Printer and Faxes from Control Panel and reboot the Virtual Machine before proceeding with Bonjour for Windows

Bonjour for Windows - http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/bonjourforwindows.html

Also go through the following for how to install printer in VM

http://mylearn.vmware.com/MgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=3193&ui=www

Don_Critchley
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much. Very helpful. For the USB connected printer I needed to do one other thing.

I needed to go to the Control Panel in Windows. Then select add hardware/discover new hardware and then allow the machine to discover the USB ports and fix/install a USB controller/driver. The reason was because the USB port(s) had a yellow ? meaning (I guess) that Windows couldn't properly see the ports.

Once the hardware doscovery installed/fixed the USB controller/driver, then the printer was immediately found. From there I followed the video instructions for a USB connected device and everything works perfect.

Again....Thank you.

DC

0 Kudos