VMware Communities
s4man
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 1.1 Leopard and Bootcamp

I have been trying to evaluate Fusion 1.1 but have not had any luck getting it to see the bootcamp partition. We are evaluating on a 17" MacBook Pro with Leopard 2.4 GHz Core 2/2GB/256MB VRAM.

I have been able to install Parallels evaluation copy with out issue.

I have heard that the evaluation license of Fusion will is not fully functional and will not see the bootcamp partition. Has anyone seen this???? If we try a full license copy will work?

I am new to MAC and have limited knowledge of OSX. We need stability and performance using windows XP Pro and Windows apps.

From what I have read, I get the impression that Fusion is faster and more stable then Parallels, but I have not seen that because I cant run the evaluation copy of Fusion.

I want to make a good decision because what we choose now we will have to live with for some time.

What I have noticed is both Parallels and Fusion have poor support.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I have been trying to evaluate Fusion 1.1 but have not had any luck getting it to see the bootcamp partition. We are evaluating on a 17" MacBook Pro with Leopard 2.4 GHz Core 2/2GB/256MB VRAM.

How did you set up the Bootcamp partition (Apple's Boot Camp assistant, fdisk, etc.)? What version of OS X do you have?

I have heard that the evaluation license of Fusion will is not fully functional and will not see the bootcamp partition.

Incorrect, the only difference is that the evaluation is time limited. Where did you hear this?

What I have noticed is both Parallels and Fusion have poor support.

What make you say this?

0 Kudos
mac_pro_user
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think you have to first install Windows under Bootcamp... Fusion should then list "Boot Camp partition" as an available virtual machine.

I'm new to this myself, but I can say after evaluating both Parallels, and Fusion, that Fusion more closely "resembles" (my subjective opinion) a stand alone PC. Also, it seems to better support running the Bootcamp partition as a virtual machine, since it worked the first time I tried it. The last time I tried this with Parallels, it completely messed up my Bootcamp disk, requiring a complete format and reinstallation...

Now if VMware can quickly fix some usability quirks with Fusion, they'll have a winner!

0 Kudos
s4man
Contributor
Contributor

The Boot Camp partition was made with Apples Boot Camp assistant and I have the latest version of Leopard 10.5.1. The Boot Camp partition was setup before I upgraded to Leopard.

With regard to support, I have talked to several VMware people from Sales to Support and I am told the only options for support is to pay for support on a product that I want to evaluate or try my luck on the web.

I am not accustomed to this type of support. If this is how we supported our customers in our business, we would not survive.

0 Kudos
s4man
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate your input. I get the impression that Fusion is not ready for "prime time" or business use. Do you agree?

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The Boot Camp partition was made with Apples Boot Camp assistant and I have the latest version of Leopard 10.5.1. The Boot Camp partition was setup before I upgraded to Leopard.

With regard to support, I have talked to several VMware people from Sales to Support and I am told the only options for support is to pay for support on a product that I want to evaluate or try my luck on the web.

I am not accustomed to this type of support. If this is how we supported our customers in our business, we would not survive.

Thanks for your feedback. We don't offer pre-sales support except through the forums. However, we have many VMware people and other great customers participating in the forums to help users address pre-sales questions and concerns.

We do offer free installation e-mail support for customers who purchase VMware Fusion and have other support options available after the 30-day installation period.

With regards to your Boot Camp issue, there should be more traffic on this issue once people are back from the weekend to help you resolve your problem.

Best,

Pat Lee

Senior Product Manager - Mac Products

VMware

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Expert
Expert

I would not agree at all with that statement. Fusion is essentially Workstation minus the snapshot tree and Teams, and I use Workstation every single day in my job. Fusion I use less, but that's only because it's on my personal machine.

Then again, I bought Fusion because I want to run multiple guest operating systems, and I don't want any of them to know anything about my host hardware. I don't see the point of using Boot Camp in the first place, let alone using it as a VM. That said, I have personally seen two other people with Santa Rosa MacBook Pros running Boot Camp and running the same install in VMware on Leopard just fine. I don't know what they may have done differently.

When you run the 'groups' command, does it return that you are a member of 'staff' and 'admin'? Are there any other users on your machine? What other software do you have installed?

0 Kudos
s4man
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Bob for your input. As one reads the postings and sees the number of issues people are having, it is hard to tell how many are having good experiences. It is frustrating to me that I can not get support from VMware to perform an evaluation without buying a copy or paying for tech support.

There should not be anything unusual about my install. With regard to Boot Camp, it was what I needed to used when I purchased the MacBook and get up and running fast. The partition was setup with Tiger before I upgraded to Leopard. I also don't want to start over installing windows and related software if I can get the performance.

It looks like my choices are to 1. go with Parallels, 2. Buy tech support for the evaluation, or 3. Purchase Fusion, try to get tech support, and hope I am satisfied.

To answer your other questions: I am the only user, Admin rights, Software XP Pro-Office XP - Capture NX - Will be loading Solid Edge

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As one reads the postings and sees the number of issues people are having, it is hard to tell how many are having good experiences.

Keep in mind that the forums have a terrible bias: only people for which Fusion does not work come to them.

It is frustrating to me that I can not get support from VMware to perform an evaluation without buying a copy or paying for tech support.

It is a pretty standard policy for most software business to not offer support to people who haven't bought anything.

There should not be anything unusual about my install.

Famous last words. Our forums are full of people who do not have unusual installs.

OK, now to the topic of interest. When you start Fusion, the VM Library window should appear. Do you see any "Boot Camp partition" entry in that window? I assume that you don't.

Open any other application and click on its window (i.e. take the focus away from Fusion). Now click on the Fusion window again (bringing focus back to Fusion). Do you see any "Boot Camp partition" entry in that window? If yes, problem solved. Double-click on that entry and you are good to go.

If no, then please reply to this message by attaching the following log files:

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Logs/VMware Fusion/vmware-vmfusion.log

Also attach the content of the console.log file as displayed by the Console application

0 Kudos
s4man
Contributor
Contributor

Your assumptions are correct, nothing in the VM Library window.

Attached is the file you requested

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I don't see any file attached

0 Kudos
s4man
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know why you did not get the file. I have attached it again.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I don't know why you did not get the file. I have attached it again.

Are you replying by email and attaching the file? I don't think this will work, you have to use the forum and attach files via the Browse... button.

0 Kudos
s4man
Contributor
Contributor

That is what I did. I will try again tomorrow.

0 Kudos
matthewls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion is ready for prime time for me using an xp32 vm.