VMware Communities
darkwillow98
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 1.1.1 breaks USB device support

I just loaded the new version and am back to having no USB access again. Very frustrating. This was fixed in 1.1 GM and is broken again. No amount of tinkering is getting it to work. Anyone else having this issue?

I am going to pull 1.1.1 out and reinstall 1.1

I did the usual of install/upgrade VM tools, reboot, unselect usb auto autoconnect, reboot, select usb autoconnect, reboot. Nada, nothing, no devices. I continue to get the USB device "blah" not connected, Error 4. Which is the same error from before.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
pkeller
Contributor
Contributor

Add me to the lengthening list of people with USB problems after upgrading to Fusion 1.1.1. In my case, the peripheral is a Keyspan USA-19HS USB/RS-232 adapter. Fusion can connect to the device, the Keyspan software sees the device, sending data makes the LED blink - but no input, and the loopback test fails. Rolling back to Fusion 1.1 fixed the problem. As a consequence, 1.1.1 is unusable for me.

-- Philip

0 Kudos
vwgtiturbo
Contributor
Contributor

Add another... Both my Mac (if I have the Mac drivers installed) and Windows can SEE the Keyspan, but I cannot communicate to the device attached. I was really hoping that moving away from Parallels, because it was so slow, would pay off, since Fusion is so much faster. I could get Parallels and the Keyspan working just fine using SerialClient (so OSX would pipe the serial data to /tmp/serial then I could connect XP to /tmp/serial and all was well). Fusion doesn't have the option of connecting to a serial 'file', and with the USB adapter not working, it looks like Parallels is the answer. The only reason I have XP is for the program that uses the device connected to the Keyspan, so if it doesn't work, XP is useless for me.

0 Kudos
smcrae
Contributor
Contributor

Having the same issue here with Fusion 1.1.1 and USB / Keyspan adapter. XP can see it but it will not work. Going back to 1.1 to see if that helps.

0 Kudos
vwgtiturbo
Contributor
Contributor

Out of curiosity, did you install the OSX drivers? I did, at one point, and I think that caused all of my problems. When I used to use Parallels (on Tiger), I had to use SerialClient to 'release' the Keyspan to the VM. If I didn't, the VM would never work with the KS. After upgrading to Fusion, I never could get the KS to work with the VM, even with SerialClient. I think that SerialClient is NOT Leopard compatible, as I never could get the KS to connect to /tmp/serial, which left the KS unavailable to the VM.

I downgraded to v1.0 Fusion, and still had nothing but problems. I am starting to think that it is either a Leopard or Keyspan driver issue.

So, in short, when my KS died last week, and I sent it away for warranty service, I decided that I couldn't wait for the unit to be returned, so I bought a Belkin F5U409, and haven't looked back. It works out of the box (after installing the XP drivers) and since there are no OSX drivers, and OSX can't connect to it, there is no need to have another program 'release' the unit to the VM. It works great, and I am disappointed that I spent so much time messing with the Keyspan.

0 Kudos
smcrae
Contributor
Contributor

Downgrading Fusion to 1.1 resolved my issue immediately.

I do not have the OS X keyspan drivers installed. I did update to the most recent Keyspan drivers - 3.7 I believe - in the process of troubleshooting.

I did have another application that uses USB in fusion that worked fine under 1.1.1 - but it did not use the keyspan adapter.

0 Kudos
pkeller
Contributor
Contributor

Unlike smcrae, I do have the OS X Keyspan drivers installed, and my Keyspan works fine with either OS X or - now that I've downgraded to Fusion 1.1 - WinXP. Note I said OS X OR WinXP - of course you're going to have trouble if you try to connect a device to Fusion if it's already open in another OS X application - SerialClient in your case.

It is possible that there's another layer of confusion with Leopard compatibility. I'm still running Tiger.

-- Philip

0 Kudos
andykeck
Contributor
Contributor

Same here for me. No Keyspan drivers installed on the Leopard side, brand new XP install in Fusion. The internal loopback test fails on two previously working USA-19HS adapters. Using Fusion 1.1.1 and unlikely to downgrade.

0 Kudos
andykeck
Contributor
Contributor

1.1.2 = no better.

0 Kudos
FerdDeb
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

Just wondering if you found a solution to the USB problem. Windows is unable to see my USB flash drive and I don't know where to go for help. It shows connected at the bottom, but when I go to Start, My Computer, it doesn't show a flash drive connected. Please help if you can. THank you,

Ferdinand

0 Kudos