VMware Communities
sarahalderson
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 1.1.1 Will Not Launch Boot Camp Partition

I also had this problem with v1.1. When I launch Fusion, I see my Boot Camp partition (which I have never changed). However, when I Run the virtual machine, I get an error that the disk cannot be opened. I have not made any changes to the Boot Camp partition, and can use Windows using the Boot Camp at startup. What gives?

It's as if Fusion suddenly does not see the virtual disk any more...

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Follow these steps to rebuild the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine...

Highlight the Boot Camp partition entry in the Virtual Machine Library window and then press the delete key.

Next close Fusion (From the VMware Fusion menu bar not just closing the Virtual Machine Library window)

Next delete the "/Users/$/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp" Folder.

Reboot your Computer.

Start Fusion and the Boot Camp partition entry on the Virtual Machine Library window should reappear, highlight it and click Run.

Note: If Boot Camp partition entry does not appear on the Virtual Machine Library window after a minute or so then close Fusion and reopen Fusion. It should now appear at the bottom of the list.

Next an Authenticate dialog box appears. "VMware Fusion requires that you type your password." Enter your Name and Password then click OK. (This is necessary to unmount the Boot Camp partition for Fusion to have direct access to it.)

Next you should see a Boot Camp partition message stating "VMware Fusion is preparing your Boot Camp partition to run as a virtual machine. This may take a few minutes. This will happen once."

When the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine boots for the first time after this VMware Tools will install/update and reboot the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine.

sarahalderson
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, Woody.

I followed those steps, and everything was as you described until the step after I chose Run.

The message that you said would appear did, but then I get an error saying:

"Could not create the virtual disk for you Boot Camp virtual machine."

I don't understand why Fusion does not see my Boot Camp. Everything was working just fine and then these problems have occurred out of the blue.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

At the moment the only other suggestion I have is to use the Leopard DVD and boot the Mac and use the Disk Utility from the DVD to verify the disk is okay and if by chance there are some anomalies corrected then follow the previous directions to attempt to recreate the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine again.

Hopefully someone else can add some additional things to try.

0 Kudos