VMware Communities
Griffin_Caprio
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 1.1.1 Crashing suddenly.

Hello all,

In the past, i've had a crash or two on my mac while running Windows XP under fusion. It didn't happen enough to warrant investigation though.

Now, however, in the past two days, fusion has crashed 4 times on me. The crash always happens the same way: spinning beach ball then the vm shuts down. I can't start it back up without rebooting my mac.

The first few times it happened, I was using WinSCP to copy a large ( 2GB+ ) file from a server. The last time, fusion crashed while I was restoring a large SQL Server backup file.

Nothing's changed in my vm.

Does anyone have any idea where I can even look for a reason for the crash?

Thanks,

Griffin

0 Kudos
8 Replies
borisdusek
Expert
Expert

Next time it happens (sorry) post a log file. How to get the log file you can find in , section "Virtual Machine Files". It's vmware.log if you have not yet repowered-on the virtual machine, or vmware-0.log if you already did.

0 Kudos
Griffin_Caprio
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, attached is the log from the last time it happened.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Griffin

0 Kudos
Griffin_Caprio
Contributor
Contributor

After looking through the log I attached, this looks like the issue:

VMHS: Connection to VM broken: cfg: /Volumes/BigMac/VirtualMachines/WindowsXP/WindowsXP.vmx; error: Pipe connection has been broken; state: 3

How can the connection be broken ?

0 Kudos
borisdusek
Expert
Expert

Unfortunately I don't see the file attached anywhere in this thread. Could you try again?

0 Kudos
Griffin_Caprio
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, trying to attach again.

0 Kudos
Griffin_Caprio
Contributor
Contributor

OK, i think i may have found the problem. I have my vm on a second hard drive in my mac pro. My energy settings were set to put hard drives to sleep when possible. So it makes sense that during long periods of no disk activity, my hard drive would be put to sleep and fusion would lose it's connection to it.

Going to disable the sleeping and see if it happens again.

0 Kudos
borisdusek
Expert
Expert

From the filename "vmware-vmfusion...", I guess this is the Fusion UI log. Then the pipe error just means that the real vmware-vmx process running the virtual machine crashed and the UI process can no longer communicate. The real stuff happens in the vmware-vmx process, for which logfile is the vmware.log (or numbered) in the virtual machine bundle. Please attach this one from the appropriate run. (If you started more than a few times after the crash, you will have to "wait" for another crash)

0 Kudos
Griffin_Caprio
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, i'll make sure to grab the right log file next time.

Thanks for your help.

Griffin

0 Kudos