VMware Communities
Jim_Mead
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Function key not being passed into VM

I'm running VMware Fusion 1.0b4 (49528) on a new MacBook OS-X 10.4.10.

Windows XP-Pro as a virtual machine, all patches applies, Visual Studio 2005 Pro, all patches applied.

When I press F5 with focus in the virtual machine, the F5 key does not make it to the virtual machine where it would start or continue debugging in Visual Studio.

Instead pressing F5 does the MacBook "Raise sound volume" function.

This happens wether running the VM in full screen mode or as a Single Window in the Mac.

Is there a work-around for this issue, or a setting someplace that I'm missing?

Thanks,

Jim Mead

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is there a work-around for this issue, or a setting

someplace that I'm missing?

Jim,

This is default behavior with the MacBook/MacBook Pro...you need to press Fn + F-Key to get the standard function key...

Ciao, Andreas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is there a work-around for this issue, or a setting

someplace that I'm missing?

Jim,

This is default behavior with the MacBook/MacBook Pro...you need to press Fn + F-Key to get the standard function key...

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
stevenoetic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Andreas:

I am having a similar problem as the original poster. I know that Fn+F-key gets the function key to pass, but I am having a problem with the function keys that happen to overlap with Expose functionality. Most importantly for me, F9 as "toggle breakpoint" in VS2005.

Using Fusion on my MacBookPro, I now have the following behavior:

• F9 activates Expose "all windows"

• Fn+F9 activates "dim keyboard backlight"

Is there anything I can do besides remapping Expose functions to get a F9 to pass through to Fusion? I found a workaround to this in Parallels (Universal Access > enable access for assistive devices), but I'd like to make a switch to Fusion.

Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Is there anything I can do besides remapping Expose

functions to get a F9 to pass through to Fusion?

In the menu VMware Fusion -> Preferences, disable "Use Mac OS keyboard shortcuts".

0 Kudos
jfreas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there anything I can do besides remapping Expose

functions to get a F9 to pass through to Fusion?

In the menu VMware Fusion -> Preferences, disable "Use Mac OS keyboard shortcuts".

I am having the same problem on my iMac with the standard keyboard. I need to send a CTRL-F3 combination to Windows XP. I have tried fncommandF3 (as well as fnoptionF3 and fncontrolF3) and it has no effect. I tried deselecting "Enable Mac OS keyboard shortcuts" in preferences and that had no visible effect either. I am running what I assume to be the latest version of Fusion within OS X 10.5.2.

I must be missing something, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos