VMware Communities
wurz
Contributor
Contributor

Fullscreen jumps to secondary monitor after unlocking MacBook in v4.10

I have a MacBook Pro with an external monitor connected via the mini displayport output. I normally have my Windows 7 guest full-screened on the MacBook Pro's internal monitor, and use OS X apps on the external monitor. I have the OS X menubar displayed on the secondary monitor.

I use the "Login Window" option from the fast user switching menu on the OS X MenuBar to lock my Mac when away from my desk. I use this as I found a 3rd party app that could assign a keybaord shortcut to it (BetterTouchTool). I'm amazed how difficult OS X makes it to lock your Mac with a keyboard shortcut, but that's another story.

Anyhow, what happens now is that after I log in after locking the Mac, my Windows guest appears full-screened on the external monitor. It jumps from the internal monitor to the external one without asking me 🙂

This did not happen in the previous version - I assume the fullscreen enhancements in 4.1 are casuing this behaviour.

Note this doesn't happen if I use the "Lock Screen" menu option via the Keychain app - but I can't find a way to assign a keybaord shortcut to that.

Not a massive issue, and so far I'm enjoying 4.1 which seems to be working well.

Update: found a workaound. Assign keyboard shortcut to "Sleep Display" predefined action in BetterTouchTool. This blanks displays and locks screen as long as you have "require password after sleep or screensaver begins" enable in Security preferences. And Fusion does not jump to external monitor after logging in 🙂

Message was edited by: wurz

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Berknip
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue, but in reverse.  While running 4.1.0 in fullscreen on an external monitor, unlocking the system by returning from the "Login Window..." lock, VMWare jumps to the internal monitor.   This didn't happen in previous versions.  I'm on SL 10.6.8 on a MBPro.

0 Kudos
bbosmeny
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar issue.   I have a late 2008 Macbook Pro and am using an external monitor.

After I updated my VMWare to 4.10, I notice that when my computer comes out of "sleep", and I login, the Mac side of things is fine.

However, in my Win7 VM, the "main display" of my system is moved to the laptop display.  EVERY TIME.   This is pretty intrusive and annoying

Anyone got a fix?

0 Kudos
BillPennock
Contributor
Contributor

so good you found a work around but it doesn't look like this is a solved item by any means at least from this post. I'm going to keep looking but I just started having a similar problem.  I can not get fusion to default back to the internal monitor where I normally keep it.  Any sleep or even screen locking makes it jump to the external. I can't make it single screen to the internal and even when I use both screens in single screen mode I have to use windows preferences nearly every time to get the windows start bar and desktop icons onto the internal monitor.  I'm on snow leapord and fusion 3.1 and this only started happening last week.  It's a late 2008 mac and I've used fusion since I got it

0 Kudos
GlennyG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'd wager it's caused by the mess that is Lion's full screen mode.  Fine for people with one monitor,  absolutely useless for people with multiple monitors who change monitors regularly,  e.g. at work, at home, in other offices,  on the train...

0 Kudos
BillPennock
Contributor
Contributor

Thankfully I never jumped to Lion,  the more I hear about it the more uninterested I am.  I use Spaces all day everyday and jump from single screen to two screens in two different places frequently.  Isn't that normal behavior for a laptop?  Everything I hear about Mission Control sounds like it takes away far more than it gives.  I also checked and have fusion 3.1.3 and haven't changed that in a long time either.  My problem happened suddenly and I have no idea why.  The only changes that I know of are whatever the constant updates from Microsoft, Java, Adobe and Apple do as a seemingly endless parade of "software updates", made worse by two OS's so Java and Adobe want to do it twice each. (sorry off topic).

0 Kudos
GlennyG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you can live with Snow Leopard,  then do so.  Lion's implementation of full screen and removal of Spaces/Expose is a complete joke.  Unfortunately Apple have dragged many other companies such as VMWare into breaking their software just for Apple's amusement.  Gosh,  heretical thoughts are going through my mind that are  questioning the infalibility of Apple.

0 Kudos
BillPennock
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmm, well it's not often but when Apple chips it they do it really well.  The Newton and the Lisa are big ones but long ago.  I don't think Numbers is worth the time they put on it or Pages much either although it's tollerable.  Mission Control from what I've seen and what I've heard even more sucks and I would have to go backwards if I had updated.  I won't buy a new MAC at this point either.

0 Kudos