VMware Communities
peckrobin
Contributor
Contributor

Full screen not working in Fusion

I updated to the latest Fusion version ... and the full screen option no longer works.

To clarify, I am running Windows 7 via Fusion on my brand new Imac. and when I select View-Full Screen, or click the full screen icon top right, the window fills screen but Windows does not enlarge and take over the complete area as it did before. More annoyingly, the multiple display no longer works. I have three displays in all, the original Imac 27" and two smaller ones connected via a DVI-VGA and via a USB adapter. When selecting full screen before, Windows perfectly fitted, and expaned to all three screens, automatically adopting the native resolution of each screen. Now it simply duplicates on all three screens at completely incorrect resolutions on each one.

Adjusting the settings in Windows Control Panel makes no difference. the desktop does not EXTEND onto the other screens, and I cannot set the resolutions correctly. In any case I thought that Fusion made any adjustments to Windows Control Panel unnecessary (because of VM Tools).

I have tried reinstalling VM Tools but this has made no difference.

I read that some people have suggested that the current version of Fusion is actually broken in this respect. Is that correct? Surely not!

Any help most gratefully received,

Nick

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have tried reinstalling VM Tools but this has made no difference.

Try completely uninstalling, not repair install, VMware Tools and then reinstall VMware Tools.  This is done from Control Panel in a Windows Guest.

I read that some people have suggested that the current version of Fusion is actually broken in this respect. Is that correct? Surely not!

I still primarily use VMware Fusion 3.x however on another system I have I do have the latest VMware Fusion 4.1.1 (536016) installed and was doing some testing the other day and had no problems going into and out of Full Screen view properly (on a single monitor).

I'd suggest uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Fusion and doing so does not remove existing Virtual Machines.

0 Kudos
peckrobin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi WoodyZ

Thankyou very much for your advice. I tried a complete reinstall of both Fusion itself and of the VMWare Tools as you suggested. I also disconnected the other monitors and just left the main IMac display to simplify everything. No luck. Windows still will not enlarge to fill the Apple display as it did before. I had to use Windows control panel to set the resolution to 1920x1440 which gives a reasonable display with thick black borders either side.

I noticed that the Screen Resolution page in the the Windows control panel shows the monitor as 'Generic Non-Pnp Monitor'. I wonder if this is a clue to what is wrong?

Thanks,

Nick

0 Kudos