VMware Communities
yodane
Contributor
Contributor

Full Screen VM's move spaces and shut down uncommanded

I run 7 desktops and since upgrading to OS Catalina both my VM's, XP and Win 10 open in full screen mode, XP positioned between desktop 3 and 4  and Win 10 to the right of desktop 7, both move to the left one space and shut down uncommanded. They seem to randomly move and shutdown while all 3 OS's are up and running. All S/W is UTD.

macOS Catalina Version 10.15

VMware Fusion Version 11.5.0

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)

2.9GHz 6-Core intel Core i9

32GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

1.27TB available of 2TB Flash Drive

I know, why am I still running XP... cus I'm a geek, lol

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

On the "move to another space" issue.

Please check in macOS the following setting.

Apple menu -> System preferences -> Mission Control

There's a checkbox there for "Automatically rearrange Spaces on most recent use".

From the sounds of it, you want that unchecked.

If it is checked then that would explain why VMs move to a different space.

Second, for the "VM shut down" issue.

Please check if you are passing the power state of your host through to the VM.

If you do then your VM will act on that accordingly and go to sleep - or shut down - depending on the power settings within the VM.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
yodane
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but both of your recommendations were set correctly.

0 Kudos
yodane
Contributor
Contributor

I gave up on VMware after all these years, too many issues with Catalina, some I didn't bother discussing, so I went to Parallels and no issues so far. Just had to reactivate Win XP and Win 10 licenses, which was a bit of a pain, couldn't reactivate Project in XP, oh well, time to move on from XP, lol Bottom line, typical of all software companies, none of them do enough testing before rollout and expect the masses to do it for them, cost savings...

0 Kudos