VMware Communities
StonyUK
Contributor
Contributor

Full Screen Title Bar displaying when window not in focus

I have a VM where the View, Full Screen Title Bar, Always Hide option is ticked, while the VM is running full screen and the window is in focus, the title bar is hidden, which is great.

However, as soon as the window loses focus, the title bar reappears.

Is this the intentional behaviour or is there some way to always hide it?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have a VM where the View, Full Screen Title Bar, Always Hide option is ticked, while the VM is running full screen and the window is in focus, the title bar is hidden, which is great.

However, as soon as the window loses focus, the title bar reappears.

Is this the intentional behaviour or is there some way to always hide it?

I believe this is the default behavior, at least it does the same thing on my system, however I normally do not use the VMware Fusion 3.x style Full Screen Title Bar and instead use the fusion.showFullScreenTitleBar = "FALSE" parameter in the /Users/${USER}/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/preferences file to invoke the normal Mac menu like in VMware Fusion 2.x (1.x).

0 Kudos
d0wntime
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion 4 appears to ignore this setting ... has anybody found a workaround?

-peter

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Make sure that VMware Fusion is closed when editing the /Users/${USER}/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/preferences file and that the added preference is on its own line.

BTW...

1. This preference is/was not officially supported to begin with and may no longer work at any given point in time with subsequent releases of VMware Fusion 3.x and later.

2. As a personal general rule I've been using this unsupported preference since the change was introduced in the VMware Fusion 3 and have continued to use it in VMware Fusion 4.x, currently VMware Fusion 4.0.1, without any problems.  I have not yet upgrade to VMware Fusion 4.0.2 since the only thing it addressed was a future release, which I'm not running, of Mac OS X Lion in a Virtual Machine and also introduced many new issues for some Users which I didn't want to have to deal with.

0 Kudos
d0wntime
Contributor
Contributor

This setting is still present in my ~/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/preferences file, but Fusion 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 have both ignored it apparently.  If the window is not in focus, I still have that darned menu bar blocking a portion of my VM's screen.

VMware, please fix this!  "Always hide" should do just that ... always hide, not hide it only when the window's in focus.

-peter

0 Kudos