VMware Communities
Luke_H_NYC
Contributor
Contributor

Frequent crashes - macOS 10.12 final (16A323) + Fusion 8.5 (4352717)

Hi, I was using 8.1.1 for a while with relatively no issues.  Upgraded last night to 8.5 and have been experiencing a lot of crashes with 2 VMs (both running Windows 10 Anniversary).  Quite often it crashes while at the Lock Screen/Login Screen.  VMware Tools has been installed and updated.  Host is a Mac Mini Core i7 w/ 16GB RAM.  Guests are 2GB or 4GB Winx64.

I collected a crash report from one recently but the ZIP file is 125MB- not sure how to submit this report or get help with this.  Help?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ouch, sorry to hear. Our stability testing has been pretty solid, so not sure what's up but happy to look into it.

Can you send me a link to your support bundle via email? (Dropbox or something?)

mroy at vmware dot com

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
lenl17
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same experience, MAC OS X 10.11.6  with currently a single WIN 10 Pro VM.

Up-graded to Proffesional 8.5 last night and have had a dozen crashes since then.

All crashes have been while working with a web based application using IE 11.

I will give it a couple of days but after that it is going to be retrograde time.

0 Kudos
Luke_H_NYC
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.  I emailed you a link to download the .zip crash report.

0 Kudos
joeyalex82
Contributor
Contributor

I'm seeing the same behavior on OS X 10.11.6.  8.1 worked great, but 8.5 in Unity mode with Windows 10 anniversary crashes quite often.  I've had to go back to using single window mode.

0 Kudos
wilbanja
Contributor
Contributor

Me too! Frequent crashes on OS X 10.11.6, Fusion 8.5, Windows 7.

0 Kudos
Ink_Global
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, count me in too. 2 out of 3 launches of my BootCamp VM crash out on boot.

Running Fusion 8.5 and macOS 10.12 GM#2 (16A323)

8.5 was clearly not ready to be launched IMO.

0 Kudos
JessieZhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for reporting the issues. I think there are actually two crash issues here:

1. crash on macOS 10.12 that Luke_H_NYC and Ink_Global encountered.

For this issue, Fusion development team is aware of this issue and is working on to find the root cause. In Fusion 8.5 Release Notes, this issue is listed as a known issue, below is the extracted text:

VMs running on  macOS 10.12 sometimes crash

A VM running on macOS 10.12 might crash when it tries to grab keyboard or mouse input from the host.

2. crash on Mac OS 10.11.6 that lenl17, joeyalex82, wilbanja encountered.

lenl17, joeyalex82, wilbanja, we need your help to provide more information. Right after the crash happen on your side, could you please select Fusion menu 'Help' > 'Collect Support Information' to collect logs and upload the resultant zip file? It would be also very helpful if you can provide the detailed operations that you did when the crash happened. Thanks

0 Kudos
Luke_H_NYC
Contributor
Contributor

Ok well at least you guys are aware of the bug.  I have sent in 3 crash reports so far.  Hope that helps debug things.  I think there is definitely a problem with the keyboard driver or some weird interaction when VMware Tools tried to start because the other day I was starting a VM and then I switched to my Mac Outlook app and all of a sudden the <DELETE> key got stuck down and started deleting 100s of emails.  It was pretty scary I had to force-quit Outlook or it would have deleted every single message in my Inbox. 

99% sure this was related to VMware Fusion, I filed a bug with Microsoft anyway but they say they have never heard of this.

0 Kudos
ejavm
Contributor
Contributor

I am seeing exactly this crash fairly regularly when the VM tries to grab kb/mouse input since upgrading to Fusion 8.5 and macOS 10.12. I have a couple crash reports I can send if useful.

0 Kudos
wilbanja
Contributor
Contributor

Hello JessieZhang,

Attached are the log files as requested.

At the time of the crash, I was running Windows 7 in unity mode. I was running LabVIEW Professional development environment. I think at the time of the crash, I was doing something with the mouse. It seems most of the crashes happen on a mouse click or some type of mouse manipulation.

I hope this helps.

Joe

0 Kudos
bambucoder
Contributor
Contributor

This has also been happening to me and another colleague. It is really frustrating since we can't get our work done. Hope this gets fixed ASAP.

0 Kudos
Luke_H_NYC
Contributor
Contributor

Can we get an update from the developers? This has gotten worse and pretty much makes starting a VM a roll of the dice.  I would say 4 out of 5 times I get the crash and the VM dies.  I've submitted 5 crash reports and I know others have sent in reports as well.  Has the issue even been identified?

0 Kudos
OMogenot
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

You can count me in as well. I have random crashes on various Windows XP virtual machines.

I collected the problem report, however this file is 108Mb and I'm not sure whether you already have received enough of these or not. Just let me know.

I'm looking forward to getting soon from you guys a new release or workaround as this is very annoying on a daily basis.

Do not hesitate to contact me should you need any further information.

Best Regards,

OM.

0 Kudos
Stratega
Contributor
Contributor

Experiencing the same issue.  Frequent crashes even on 8.5.3 on OSX 10.11.6 running Windows 10 Pro (automatic updates off).  Crash dump is too large to attach (135MB).  Getting very frustrated!

0 Kudos
Luke_H_NYC
Contributor
Contributor

The 8.5.3 update fixed the crashes for me, at least on 10.12.2 beta.  I would suggest people having that issue should try upgrading to 10.12.2 and test - it has been very stable for me.

0 Kudos