VMware Communities
dugthefreshest
Contributor
Contributor

Freeze on windows install everytime....PLEASE help.

I just bought a Mac Pro, and would really like to use VMware as a virtual machine.

I have bootcamp installed with no problems at all. but, after about 10 tries to install a virtual machine through vmware, with and without bootcamp, i get the same results.

either it gets to "loading windows files" and just freezes, or the screen after the"play button" just sits black forever.

I currently have lion, 10.7.4, mac pro, 6core 3.33ghz, 16 gb of ram.

i have no clue what is wrong, but its just getting frustrating at this point.  I would really like to purchase vmware, but im using the 30day trial to make sure it works, and right now, it just isnt.

thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Could you post a few more details so we can help you?

What's the version of the Windows operating system you're trying to install (XP/Vista/7)? 32- or 64-bit?

What's the installation media that you're trying to use - where did it come from?

How are you trying to install Windows in your VM - are you using Easy Install, or did you configure the VM manually, then boot to start installation.

Does Apple Hardware Test for your system run correctly - especially the memory tests?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
dugthefreshest
Contributor
Contributor

"

What's the version of the Windows operating system you're trying to install (XP/Vista/7)? 32- or 64-bit?

What's the installation media that you're trying to use - where did it come from?

How  are you trying to install Windows in your VM - are you using Easy  Install, or did you configure the VM manually, then boot to start  installation.

Does Apple Hardware Test for your system run correctly - especially the memory tests?"

Im trying to install windows 7 home premium, 64bit.

the installation media is a disk , from MS.

I have tried both easy install, and manually, neither has worked thus far.

Im not familiar with "Apple hardware tests"  Explain?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

dugthefreshest wrote: Im not familiar with "Apple hardware tests"  Explain?

If you'd Google "Apple Hardware Test" it comes up as the top several hits! Smiley Wink

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

Apple Hardware Test - Apple - Support - Search

OS X Lion: Use Apple Hardware Test

0 Kudos
dugthefreshest
Contributor
Contributor

Oh my bad, thanks.

i just did the test and got error code

4sns/1/40000001:ipm-0.890

guess its time to call apple care?

also its not just vmware, i have tried parallels, vmware, and virtual box, all with basically the same result.

0 Kudos