VMware Communities
slewsys
Contributor
Contributor

FreeBSD compiler issues

A build of the FreeBSD source tree (i.e., ` cd /usr/src && make buildworld') either freezes or the compiler fails with a segmentation violation. Neither problem occurs at a particular place. I have not encountered any compile problems under Mac OS X, so I don't believe the problem is hardware (i.e., memory) related.

I am running FreeBSD 6.2-RC1 as 64-bit guest OS with both CPUs enabled, 384MB RAM allocated and VT enabled (via vmx-var-set.efi) on an iMac 24" in the original Apple configuration (e.g., no memory upgrades), except for Logitech MX Laser mouse. FreeBSD is allocated 20GB of disk and 1GB of swap.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jegtester
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem, i.e. freezing and segmentation fault.

I'm using VMware Workstation 6.0 Beta on Windows XP and have tryed both FreeBSD 6.2-RC1 and 6.1-RELEASE.

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This sounds like a CPU virtualization issue (our code is common to all Linux/Mac OS/Windows hosts). Can you please file a bug about this?

0 Kudos
slewsys
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is only seen when compiling in text mode - most recently in "stage 4.2: building libraries", 35 minutes into the build. The system and kernel were rebuilt without incident (albeit much more slowly) within an xterm (under AfterStep).

0 Kudos
george_hartzell
Contributor
Contributor

I'm still seeing this behavior with Beta4 on an 8-way Mac Pro and FreeBSD6.2-RELEASE or a -STABLE snapshot.

Has anyone gotten this to work?

g.

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm still seeing this behavior with Beta4 on an 8-way

Mac Pro and FreeBSD6.2-RELEASE or a -STABLE

snapshot.

Has anyone gotten this to work?

g.

George, please file a service request on this issue.

http://www.vmware.com/support/home.html

Thanks,

Pat

0 Kudos
george_hartzell
Contributor
Contributor

I just confirmed that this problem still exists on RC1 (build 50460). In fact, it now seems to happen almost instantly, but build barely gets going.

I have a service request open and have submitted log files from the 50460 run.

g.

0 Kudos