VMware Communities
frida11
Contributor
Contributor

Forgot my windows password. VMware fusion on Mac, please help

I have a vmware fusion and windows xp on my mac. I set an administration password but can't remember it now.

I have seen all the help pages in google and vwware that tell people to manually boot from CD or floppy. However my problem is that

When my windows starts I can not get it to boot manually from a CD or floppy. I press F2, esc, anything, nothing seems to take it to the manual set up! The ESC button or F2 seem to do what they do in mac, not what they do in pc.

please help.

Also can I take this somewhere where a professional can see it and fix it? I live in washington DC area.

Any help is much much appreicaited.

Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
8 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried pressing FnF2 or FnEsc?

What version of VMware Fusion are you using? In version 3 you can set it to boot the CD/DVD from VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Virtual Machine > Settings > Advanced > Startup Device

frida11
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a ton WoodyZ for your reply. I am using Fusion 3.0.0

Thanks to you, I tried this: going to Virtual Machine > Settings > Advanced > Startup Device

and chose CD/DVD for reboot.

I did burn the below rebooter on CD and I am using it. somehow wmware does not reboot from it, even though i specify reboot from CD/DVD. I have burnt this using my mac so that could be a problem? will try to burn it using a pc tomorrow when I will get access to a pc.

http://www.recoveranypassword.com/recover/windows-password-recovery/

I have set the cd/dvd setting to auto detect physical cd/dvd as well as I tried it several times by specifying the physical cd/dvd driver. No use. It does not read form the CD/DvD driver.

I don't know what I am doing wrong? maybe I should try to burn some other password recovery programs on CD? Or is sth wrong with my mac cd drivers? It sounds like it is reading from it, but nothing happens.

Smiley Sad

Again many thanks for your help. I don't mean to be pushy. Any tips appreciated

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You can use the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor to reset the password.

• cd080802.zip (~3MB) - Bootable CD image. (md5sum: 33ecd38263f935b82e7b2e3e9f5de563)

frida11
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot Woodyz for your helpful comments.

I was able to finally recover my password.

As you said, i went to virtual machines > settings > advance > boot from CD/DvD > restart This was a very useful tip. Thanks a lot. I couldn't get my virtualmachine windows to boot from CD otherwise.

For bootCDs, i tried various ones mentioned above. none seemed to make it boot from cd. finally i used the loginrecovery.com their bootcd worked but unfortunately i had to pay $34 to see the password. Glad something finally worked.

I am not sure why my other free bootCDs did not seem to boot at bios. I hope they will work for others and this tread will help out.

thanks again.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry you had to pay $34 because the link I provided does indeed work if you use it properly by extracting the cd080802.iso file from the downloaded cd080802.zip file and then assign the cd080802.iso to the CD/DVD and booting from the CD/DVD. I've use it dozens of times on both virtual machines and burnt to CD-ROM and used on physical machines too.

Anyway make sure you change the password if you transmitted info to that site.

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi All,

I tested ophcrack and with default settings, it found several forgotten passwords. And it is free!

Franck

0 Kudos
pras201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Franck & all

I have a same situation, forgat the windows pass in VWware fusion on Mac.

im trying to use ophcrack (vista version) booting on CD,

but don't know how to use.

Could you pleas help me out?

I hope you can shed some lights on this

thanks.

Paul

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

No more need to add answers to this after 3 years! If the user hasn't been able to reset his password then I doubt it was important. Locking this thread to stop the rest of the spam coming in.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos