VMware Communities
DavidBachtold
Contributor
Contributor

Forgot encryption password

Today I set up encryption to one of my system, But my memory fails me, I remember the password phrase and tried to enter about 30 different combinations, but all in vain, perhaps check the hash of the password with those that I enter? This system is very important to me, I have no right to lose it. I am ready to provide any proof, any information.

Somebody Help me Please! 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DavidBachtold
Contributor
Contributor

I use WMware Fusion 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thread reported so moderators know it should be moved to the area for Fusion, since this has nothing to do a vSphere security advisory.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

There's nothing we - or anyone else - can do.

You'll have to remember the password somehow or locate a backup of the VM or the data.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
DavidBachtold
Contributor
Contributor

Where is the password hash? What type of encryption is used?

0 Kudos
DavidBachtold
Contributor
Contributor

what type of generator can help me to create custom pass list with my keys

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I think this post may help:
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/Is-there-a-tool-to-allow-editing-of-an-e...

Oh and you should look at the .vmx file for the hash.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
DavidBachtold
Contributor
Contributor

What is the path to the hash file on Mac os? 

And what about bruteforce ? 

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> What is the path to the hash file on Mac os? 
The vmx-file is stored in the directory of the VM.
On MacOS it is possible to obscure directories as bundles - in case you used that "feature" you may need to open  the bundle..

Ulli

0 Kudos