VMware Communities
jimndeb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Force OSX to open Java app using Fusion?

I've got a Java app (.jnlp extension) that constantly crashes on OS X regardless of Java version, local network or running over the internet, anything I can think of...It crashes upon very specific actions.

However the app will run fine on windows and runs fine on windows emulated by Fusion.  Problem 95% solved. 

I would like to tag this file type to open in fusion.  Always. 

When I right click on the .jnlp file I see the option to open with the OS X version of Java.  How can I navigate to the VMware / Fusion / Windows version of Java?  I can navigate and choose to "Always open with Fusion" but that isn't the right solution.  I need to see the Java application in windows?

There must be some way to do this that I don't see.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

You only need to enable it there. The dialog you talk about.. I have no idea what that is supposed to add except confusion.

Then in Finder, you can click the file you want to open, use Open With and one of the things it offers is the registered file type.

For example in the screenshot below I selected a file called "Downloaden.zip" in Finder and then choose Open with.

Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 09.33.24.png

On my end it took up about 5 minutes before the "open with" option showed itself for the first time after enabling the option in Fusion.

Of course after it is enabled it shows up fast.

There's also a help topic in Fusion, type "Open With" in the Help -> Search menu.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I think you are looking for the following setting:

- Menu Virtual Machine

- Settings

- Default Application

- Put a check in "Open your Mac files using Windows applications"

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
jimndeb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.

I see what you mean but there really aren't any options to choose a specific file type, or rather the specific file types have been chosen and I can't add additional file types (.jnlp) to the list.

Am I missing something here?

Screen Shot 2015-03-15 at 12.47.07 PM.JPG

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

If you check the "Open your mac files and web links using windows applications" then it will create file associations for all known file types on your VM.

If jnlp files are a known file type then it should add them.

For example on an old VM where I had this enabled it had 327 known file types.

Beware that the file you want to open needs to be in a shared area (Fusion Shared folder)

--
Wil

0 Kudos
jimndeb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

First off let me say thanks for helping me. I really appreciate it.  I want you to know that I'm not trying to be difficult.

It doesn't seem to make a difference if I check "Open Your mac file  and web links using windows applications" or not I still see the same limited number of options.

Screen Shot 2015-03-15 at 8.08.58 PM.JPG

I know that the VM has java associated with .jnlp files as I have been using the machine to open and work on this .jnlp app,

The only choice that seems to apply is "Open Web Pages (http, https) with internet explorer.  But I don't want all web pages to open with explorer.  And even so this doesn't get the Windows version of Java to open .jnlp files.

How did you get the choice of 327 different file types?

Thanks for following up with me on this.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

You only need to enable it there. The dialog you talk about.. I have no idea what that is supposed to add except confusion.

Then in Finder, you can click the file you want to open, use Open With and one of the things it offers is the registered file type.

For example in the screenshot below I selected a file called "Downloaden.zip" in Finder and then choose Open with.

Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 09.33.24.png

On my end it took up about 5 minutes before the "open with" option showed itself for the first time after enabling the option in Fusion.

Of course after it is enabled it shows up fast.

There's also a help topic in Fusion, type "Open With" in the Help -> Search menu.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
jimndeb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Got it!

Thanks.

0 Kudos