VMware Communities
Gabe_Knuth
Contributor
Contributor

Flip video horizontally?

I wondering (hoping) that there is a way to flip the video (and mouse, if possible) horizontally to create a mirror image. I'm not talking about rotation, just creating a mirror image. This is for a teleprompter that will reflect the mirrored image back to me in a normal way.

In Ubuntu on a laptop that I have, I can do this with the "xrandr -x" command. That command does not work in the same version of Ubuntu (10.10) in Fusion, I suspect because of the graphics card emulation. I'm not a Linux guy, so running "xrandr -x" to flip the screen and "xrandr -o normal" to get it back to normal are the only two things I know. Maybe there's some other fancy X command?

There is a Windows utility called Ultramon, but it only works if there is a separate discrete monitor. I can get it to work if I go full screen, but I also need to be able to do stuff on the host. Frankly, this solution would work great if I could have a 1024x768 window on the host and have the VM "own" the second monitor at the same resolution.

So, I'm wondering if there's not some trickery that I can use to swap the X axis and simply (ha!) render everything backwards at the hypervisor level. I don't particularly care which OS I use (Linux, OS X, Windows XP, Vista, 7), so if anyone can think of an OS-based solution, I'm open to that, too.

The bottom line is that I'd like to keep screen 1 normal, with my host OS and everything left alone, but have my Fusion VM be flipped horizontally.

Thanks all!

0 Kudos
0 Replies