VMware Communities
gambcl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Flickering screen using Fusion 5.0.3 on latest 2013 (Haswell) MacBook Air

Hi all,

I just got one of the new Haswell-based MacBook Airs and have installed the latest Fusion (5.0.3) on it to run Windows 8 (x86).

It installed fine but now I get a large dark area flickering on the bottom half of the screen. Even if I run in windowed-mode, the flickering extends

from left edge to right edge but its only about half the screen height.

First I thought the MacBook Air was faulty, but it only started happening when I tried running Win8 in Fusion.

Also the flickering stops as soon as I switch to another Mac app, and then comes back if I switch back to Fusion, so it definitely seems to be

related to Fusion.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Charles

33 Replies
Jason57
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the quick response may I ask you another question?

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

sure... whats it? and were you able to add the line in VMX?

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
Jason57
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I believe so. It is now there

I did a normal install and did not do anything with partitioining etc when I read On this forum I see people refer to partitioning and boot camp I did not do either. Did I install wrong

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
recordere
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

Had the same problem with screen flicker.

MacBook Air with Haswel chipset running the newest WMware Fusioin (5.0.3).

Adding the

mks.vsync= "1" 

in virtual machine's config file solved the problem here as well.

kfreeman86
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

for the past week, the only time that it would flicker would be when I used my guestVM to RDP to another Windows machine

mks.vsync=1 fix resolved the issue for me

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

There are basically two ways to create a Windows Virtual Machine.

1) The way how you have created i.e with the help of Fusion you have installed Windows.

2) You have already installed Windows using BootCamp on a partition. For such users Fusion lets them create a Windows Virtual Machine based on BootCamp.

refer VMware KB: Working with VMware Fusion and Boot Camp partitions for more details.

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
Instro80
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I too have recently purchased the June 2013 13" MBA with i7 Haswell Processor.  After installing Fusion 5.0.3 running a Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit VM, I noticed the flickering of the display as discussed in the previous posts.  Long story short, I have edited the config file as suggested and there is a significant improvement. 

However, there still seems to be a problem when switching from full screen mode back to a smaller window and vice versa.

Can you please notify me when VMWare releases an official fix to this problem.  Hopefully ASAP.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
mgillard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had this problem - and this fix resolved it.

0 Kudos
DeVeMan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unfortunately the recommended fix mks.vsync= "1" does not work in my situation where I run a MokaFive player on VMware Fusion. The MokaFive player appears to fetch a config file from the MokaFive server which overwrites the mks.vsync= "1" in the VMX file. So whenever I start the MokaFive player, the parameter is overwritten.

It would really help if this issue got fixed properly and not with a workaround. At the moment, I plug a Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter into the Thunderbolt interface (no kidding!) and that gets rid of the flicker. But, come on, that is not a real solution! Any other suggestions?!

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Apple just released an update for the Photoshop flicker issue.  It might fix this one too.

0 Kudos
DeVeMan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes indeed!

With the newest OS X 10.8.4 update the flicker is gone, even without the recommended fix mks.vsync= "1".

Thank for the excellent input!

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Soft1ce
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the flickering problem with the new macbook air mid 2013 13-inch, OSX 10.8.4 and Fusion 5.0.3 , but only when I did NOT have an external display connected via the thunderbolt port (worked fine with an external display connected, and the VM window on either the laptop screen or the external screen). I updated the vmx file with mks.vsync="1" based on this article: Flickering screen on 2013 MacBook Air in VMware Fusion 5.0.3 in the knowledge base. So far so good when I am undocked OR when connected to an external display!

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Apple released an update for the 2013 air's that also appears to have fixed the issue.

0 Kudos
Soft1ce
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you please post a link to the update you describe? I don't see any new updates from Apple. Thanks.

I found it here: MacBook Air (Mid 2013) Software Update 1.0

0 Kudos