VMware Communities
lgoj
Contributor
Contributor

Fixed IP address in bridged mode not working

I know this might seem like a very stupid question and an even more obvious answer, but I´ve tried to research and apply whatever settings suggested without fail. I´m looking for someone to point me in the right direction, because I think I´m just going about this the wrong way, but ofc I don´t expect a step-by-step guide.

I´m using a MacBook pro and vmware fusion pro 11.5.1

I´m trying to add a windows server 2016 machine to a win server 2016 AD DC machine. So I´ve set both machines to use bridged network, because that is the only way I can ping and find the machines (and according to my research, NAT or host-only won´t work when working with local domains like this?). Since I´m going to be using these machines over time I want a fixed IP address, but if I set a fixed ipv4 address on either machine they loose internet connection.

I was able to join the client server to the domain when I set the clients DNS server to the DHCP assigned ipv4 address on the domain, but that´s not a permanent solution as I want to access this machine in for example a months time.

I´ve been told that I need two different ipv4 addresses, and the same gateway and dns.

I´ve been trying a lot of things, for example:

• I´ve tried assigning 192.168.0.x, 192.168.76.x 10.0.0.x as fixed IP
  • Set the same DNS address on both machines (same as above, but with different final number)
  • Set the same gateway on both machines (same as above, but with different final number)
  • Looked up DHCP range so it doesn´t coincide
  • Tried to find config of vmnet0 on the mac, but it doesn´t show up when i run "ifconfig -all" in terminal (only vmnet8 and vmnet1)
  • Enable NetBIOS over  TCP/IP in favor of default in WINS settings
  • Set the same WINS address on both machines

If i use NAT I can set a fixed address for example 192.168.76.3 and I still have internet connection, but ofc I cannot see the other machine. I´m sorry if this is a super obvious question.

Skjermbilde 2020-01-29 kl. 17.55.35.pngSkjermbilde 2020-01-29 kl. 17.54.28.png

2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Default gateway should not be 192.168.0.0 as that is not a valid address.  It should be 192.168.0.1

lgoj
Contributor
Contributor

Skjermbilde 2020-01-29 kl. 18.29.32.png

Thanks for the reply! However it still doesn´t work when I change default gateway to 1.

0 Kudos