VMware Communities
flockacons
Contributor
Contributor

Firewire Drives and Windows XP

I'm using fusion and running windows xp. I'm curious, why can't XP mount my firewire drives directly? Is it because they are formatted in HFS and not NTFS or FAT32? Some help would be great.

Thanks...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
borisdusek
Expert
Expert

It's because Fusion does not support currently Firewire ports. Consider attaching the disk per USB (slower), or using VMware shared folders to make the disk accessible from Windows.

0 Kudos
flockacons
Contributor
Contributor

Now I know this is not part of Fusion but will boot camp mount

firewire drives?

0 Kudos
MandarMS
Expert
Expert

If your Hard drive is formatted with NTFS or FAT32 it will recognize in Native Boot camp

0 Kudos
borisdusek
Expert
Expert

If you boot into Bootcamp natively (= Windows only), then yes. Be careful to choose the right filesystem for your harddrive then if you want to access the files from everywhere. FAT32 is probably the best choice, since both Mac OS X and Windows have full support for it (but on the other hand it does not allow files bigger than 4GB). Windows could read HFS, but you would have to find and install a Windows driver that enables that (and I have no experience with its reliability/stability). It all depends on where from you would like to access your files.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, Firewire should work in native Boot Camp.

0 Kudos