VMware Communities
howardr
Contributor
Contributor

Finding Snapshots to restore.

I guess this is sort of a multiple part question.

I'm running Windoes 7 Enterprise edition using both processors,  and a Linux (CentOS) as virtual machines on my MacBook Pro.

I'm a newbie at using Fusion and the Mac so I'm taking 3 snapshot every vew hours.

How can I find a snapshot to recover one or both of the OS's which are running.

Both OS's are running together most of the time.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gkeerthy
Expert
Expert

Please see the below articles to see the snapshots and adjust the auto protect feature of the snapshot manager.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101450...

http://pubs.vmware.com/fusion-4/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.fusion.help.doc/GUID-4C90933D-A31F-4A56-...

Please don't forget to award point for 'Correct' or 'Helpful', if you found the comment useful. (vExpert, VCP-Cloud. VCAP5-DCD, VCP4, VCP5, MCSE, MCITP)
0 Kudos
howardr
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your quick reply, I have read the documentation and things are clearer now.

One question left which wasn’t answered by the documentation was this:

Can I make a copy of, let’s say, my Windows 7 machine running in Fusion and migrate it to let’s say my Workstation or VMware Server boxes?

Thanks

0 Kudos
howardr
Contributor
Contributor

BTW, by the same token, can a Virtual Machine created in either VMware Workstation or VMware Server be imported and run in Fusion?

Thanks

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Can I make a copy of, let’s say, my Windows 7 machine running in Fusion and migrate it to let’s say my Workstation or VMware Server boxes?

Generally speaking Virtual Machine are portable although not without some issues depending on the Guest OS and Applications installed either of which that are using Hardware Hashed Product Activation Technologies and one has to change or should change the Hardware Comparability before migration if the products involved are not at the same Virtual Hardware Version Level.  There are other caveats as well and this really has been covered quite a bit in the past so I'd suspect you could find more info searching the forums and or Google.

0 Kudos