VMware Communities
erikread
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Final Nail in the Coffin?

Two issues have happened 'recently' with Fusion that I think, at least for me, have put the final nail in the usage coffin as far Fusion goes.

The first has a rather lengthy discussion board and that is the display flicker since moving to Big Sur. That hasn't been addressed by VMWare at all and the problem has been there for right at a year.

The second, and more problematic, is the loss of NAT on 12.2. There are several threads related to this. NAT works on 12.1.2 and not there on 12.2.

The third (yes I said 2 but this is a bonus) is the lack of Windows on ARM support in 12.2 for the M1. The reason I say bonus is that I know it isn't officially supported but the EULA agreement is between me and Microsoft not VMWare and Microsoft. If I wish to break the EULA that should be on me.

In addition to Fusion I have Parallels Pro and it suffers from none of these issues.

I just don't get the lack of attention to these issues.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

The issue is that VMWare would have to break the EULA in order to develop VMWare Tools.

0 Kudos
VirtualMac2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It seems possible. Check out "Featuring Parallels at Microsoft Ignite 2021
" and also "Installing Windows 11 on Apple M1 Mac w/VMware Fusion" on page 7 of the following thread

VMware Fusion 12 running on Apple Silicon

in this forum.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Oh I understand.  The difference is that VMWare has a very large business virtualizing windows within the EULA, and they're not likely to jeopardize that relationship.  Parallels on the other hand, has an entire business that's at stake - if they can't virtualize windows on mac, they may simply stop existing.

But yeah, I hope that someone at VMWare is WTF if Microsoft is allowing Parallels to show it at their conference.

0 Kudos