VMware Communities
michael8930
Contributor
Contributor

File size.Vista.Frustrated

I am having some issues making this program useful as I am constantly trying to account for its ever growing file size.

I have installed VM Fusion three times trying to get this thing to only use 15 gig max of my hard drive for Windows Vista.

I pre allocate the file size to 10 gig as I am told Vista only needs about 8 gig to install. I don't plan on adding any files to the Vista side of my computer, just accessing the files form the MAC side. I also plan on installing quick books and accessing the file from a shared windows PC on my network. I would figure that 2 gig of extra space would be plenty knowing that I only plan to have a few programs/applications on the Vista VM machine. A few minutes into trying to load Quick books, I get a prompt that VM Fusion doesn't have enough free space. So I shut down the Vista program and open settings on Vm fusion and change the file allocation to 15 gig. I then re-start the Vista on Vm fusion and Vista gives me the "you only have 3.5 megs of free space available on this hard drive " notice "please free up space." this seems wrong knowing that I have already increased the VM fusion pre allocation from 10 gig to 15 gig.Windows doesnt even recogmize that the file allocation has been increased from 210 gig to 15 gig. Why does VM fusion file size in my Mac Finder say that Virtual Machine

file size is 17.2 gig when I put a 15 gig limit on the file allocation.

I am very confused how to maintain and regulate the file size of VM fusion. If the VM Fusion side just grows and grows then this program is kind of worthless.

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

> Why does VM fusion file size in my Mac Finder say that Virtual Machine file size is 17.2 gig when I put a 15 gig limit on the file allocation.

There's some overhead in the bundle due to the virtual RAM files and state-saving files. The actual .vmdk is likely only 15GB.

Regarding adding the additional space (bumping it from 10 to 15), you've already resized the virtual disk itself, but the filesystem in Windows also needs to be resized.

In Vista, to do this:

1) Click on the Start menu in your Windows Vista virtual machine

2) Right click on Computer and select Manage

3) Windows Vista requires your permission to open the Computer Management application. Click Continue.

4) Open up the Storage category and click Disk Management

5) Your existing virtual hard disks and their partitions will be listed in the Disk Management pane

6) Right click on the existing partition you’d like to expand and select Extend Volume

7) Windows Vista will present it's all so intuitive "Extend Volume Wizard" and Click Next to begin

😎 The Extend Volume Wizard automatically selects the newly added disk space, click Next to continue

9) Click Finish to complete the "Extend Volume Wizard" and expand your existing partition

10) Close the Computer Management application

11) Click on the Start menu and select Computer

12) The C: drive will now have the increase size you expect

As described in the Windows Vista / 7 section of:

Resizing Virtual Disks With Step by Step Instruction

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
michael8930
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help. That worked very simply.

I really only want to run a few programs that will access files on a

network. If I don't save any files to my VM Fusion OS, will the disk

size basically not grow? I would like to just renew a "snapshot" once

a week(delete existing snapshot, and take a new one weekly or just

before changes.) My goal here is to have a snapshot for back up

reasons and only have a total of 35 gb for this OS. (Total hard drive

space = OS/Snapshot of 35 gb.)

Michael Irwin

President

Jaboa Enterprises Inc.

michael@jaboa.com

610-703-5185 cell